LSD Carrier Install - SLP Takeoff!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 11:43 PM
Overdrive Member
Talking LSD Carrier Install - SLP Takeoff!

Guess I got lucky, bought an OEM Zexel-Torsen LSD Carrier (P/N: 64501T) off eBay for my RS - turns out it is an SLP take-off! These are the ones SLP took off SS Camaros during the conversion upgrade process and are only 0-5 mi. on them! The one selling it says it has not been installed since the takeoff. Pretty good find, here's the old SLP link, for those curious (the Internet Archive's WayBackMachine ROCKS!):

SLP Performance Parts, Inc. - VIEW P/N: 64501T

So question is, since we did the '95 3.4L rear drum to disc swap, which involved opening the diff & resetting the spider gears and removing the rear axle rods -- is this job really that much more complex? The 3.42 gears will not be changing, just swap Open to LSD carriers. Question is tackle this myself or I have a quote of about $130 from a small shop I know?

PS: Also found this interesting detailed guide -- not for Camaro, but very informative general info:
Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading website in the world.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:49 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

not having to do the pinion would make it a bit easier. although not easy you would only have to set the play and gear mesh in the ring to pinion. that crush bushing is one of the hardest parts.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:02 AM
2nd Gear member

It's not that bad to do. More than likely you will not have to make a pinion depth change. I would recommend replacing the side bearings and getting a set of adjustable case shims, so, you can make the necessary backlash adjustments and carrier preload. I didn't see a center pin or bolt in the pic, did the unit come with them?

Old 06-19-2011, 01:28 PM
Overdrive Member

Thanks for the inputs. The bearings were all replaced about 1.5 yr ago -- should still be fine I imagine? No real noise from the diff currently.

I'm not sure about the center pin or bolt, it was not mentioned, but I just asked the seller the question...

Old 07-08-2011, 11:57 PM
Overdrive Member

Update: No center pin or bolt included.

Found this F-Body gear install guide, not carrier specific though -- anyone have a carrier specific one?:

Rear Gear

Old 07-09-2011, 08:18 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Just a warning about reusing bearings. During the break in period bearings begin a wear pattern. This wear pattern is defined by variation in housing and diff. When you try to use used bearing on different parts the wear pattern from one setup can interfere with the creation of the new wear pattern causing permature failure.

I am not just saying this a a former GM tech I am saying it as a former Manufaturing Engineer for NTN who ran the wear test lab. As a mechainic we where told not to reuse bearing even if they where a week old. I am not saying there is no way it can work but it is a roll of the dice.

I have never tested gears but they also get wear patterns but since the gears have backlash (clearance) they should be a little more forgiving. The only real issue is checking your wear pattern your old wear pattern may make your new wear pattern not look right. That error could mask a real wear pattern issue for someone not use to looking at wear patterns.

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
anyone have a carrier specific one?:

Rear Gear
I think all you going to find is like build threads. Even under warranty GM wants the rear re-setup when ever a diff is swaped out. I can not remember replacing just a diff it was always a complete rebuild. That could be because when a diff fails metal gets everywhere and trashs everything. GM does not write upgrade instruction I am aware of.

Last edited by Gorn; 07-09-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Overdrive Member

Thanks for the insight Gorn -- makes sense. I suppose I could doll the dice and fall back on the extended warranty if something isn't well -- hopefully it won't create a big issue for my new carrier itself too... Still haven't decided if I want to tackle this or take it to a shop who the tech would allow me to learn along with him as he does the work, which could be a cool experience.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:15 PM
Overdrive Member

Turns out the seller is a moron. It was confusing, the carrier has a 2.73 painted on the carrier, which would indicate a Series 2 if it was a Torsen. Sure enough, there is an Auburn logo on the carrier and 5 yellow springs inside (which Torsens do not have), which were on 4th Gens OEM until 1998 -- seller misrepresented the item!

Luckily it IS a Series 3, and was installed today, and much nicer around corners... I have some pics, if anyone's interested?

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 08-24-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:18 AM
2nd Gear member

Old 08-25-2011, 03:13 PM
Overdrive Member
Auburn LSD carrier:

Open carrier, still installed:

Carrier removed:

Ring gear and reluctor swap:

Auburn almost fully installed:

Don't forget the limited slip additive along with your gear oil...

Pinion was left alone, as I am fine with the OEM 3.42 gears...

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 08-25-2011 at 03:16 PM.

Quick Reply: LSD Carrier Install - SLP Takeoff!