Losing battery power.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 04:53 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Losing battery power.

Lately with my wife's RS the battery is being drained by something. There seems to be a slow drain on the car's battery when it's not running. If it sets for a day or more without getting started it's usually dead when you go to try and start it. I've had the battery, alternator, and starter tested, all show good. The only modifications that I think could possibly have an effect on this are a aftermarket CD player and a remote start. Other than the battery going dead there's no indication of anything wrong. With the alternator and starter showing that they're good I'm not sure where exactly to go with this problem next. Didn't know if anybody out there might know a direction to take this or possibly have run into something like this before. Even a few good ideas of something to check will be appreciated.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Losing battery power.

well batteries do drain with time if they are not used, but if its draining after a day you have an issue.My guess is maybe something isnt grounded right.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I think its an electrical issue.

All joking aside,
Are you good with electrical stuff? Talking someone thru who knows a littleabout electrical circuits can can be tuff.. Talking someone who does not know about circuits can be,,,,,,,very time consuming. Depending on your level you may want to just leave this for a Pro.

Step one. If you have a current draw you need to figure a way to see how much a draw you have. AKA an AMP meter. Do you have one?

Old 11-27-2008, 12:56 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

ORIGINAL: BAN WS6
The only modifications that I think could possibly have an effect on this are a aftermarket CD player and a remote start...
Well, there's a good place to start. Something in either of those two things could be shorting out. Try disconnecting the remote start first. It probably has one, or more than one in-line fuse that was added to the car. Look under the hood near the battery for a harness that doesn't look "factory". Give the car the same waiting period and see what happens. If you still get a dead battery, try the stereo next.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:29 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Other common issues is, Lighters/Lighter sockets and Glove box lights staying on.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:57 AM

I had this problem on my Supra, this ispretty muchthe method I used..
http://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain

Unfortunately I never did find the drain soI just exchanged her for a Z28

Old 11-30-2008, 02:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the help guys and thanks for the link. A buddy of mine was telling me of this method, helps to have it on paper. As far as my experience and familiarity with this stuff it's not that great. I know the basics of wiring, how everything works, how to string it together and **** like that but anything advanced is probably above my head. Again thanks for the help and if anyone has more suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

P.S.
Was it tough to get rid of your Supra? I'm not a Tuner guy by any stretch but I've always wanted a Supra, a late 80's one.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Not sure if this is related but it seems to be something to follow up on. When I was checking the amount of current that the car was using while off the parking lights came on when I reconnected the battery despite the switch being off. I couldn't get them to turn off until I disconnected the battery then reconnected it. The only thing I think that may have caused this is that the fog light switch is damaged. I don't know what happened to it exactly but the switch for the fog lights still works but is broken in that it sits back in side the dash, the housing that hold it in place is busted. After not being able to get any good reading from the ammeter it's the only real clue I have to go on. I'm going to try to just pull the fuse for the fog lights and see if that gets me anywhere. Anyway, just wondering if anybody had a circuit diagram or a place I could get one. Also wanted to know if anybody knew what, if anything, else was on the circuit with the fog lights.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:03 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

What year? I have 93-96 GM manuals. Did you check the lighter? about 50% of the car that came in with this it ends up being the lighter or a plug

Old 12-09-2008, 11:16 AM
1st Gear Member

i found that the owner before me had broken the light in the glove compartment and had taped it back in place.
tape failed and cost me a battery

Quick Reply: Losing battery power.