loose wobbly steering SHAFT, not column, PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:17 AM
Default loose wobbly steering SHAFT, not column, PLEASE HELP!

this all started off when my 94' camaro v6 stopped automatically turning off the left turn signal after making a left turn. so i took apart the steering column just to the point where i had access to the turn signal components, and sure enough the left return spring needed to be replaced, which i did and then reassembled the column.

however, after everything was reassembled i realized that the steering wheel had about an inch or two of movement/play, mainly moving up and down but also a little to the sides. i did a small test drive and it drove and turned just fine, but now both signals had to be turned off manually and the steering wheel/column was not being perfectly held in place.

so i took the column back apart just down to where i was able to access the turn signal components, and found the problem; the metal ring/bearing which fits snuggly between the steering shaft and ball bearing housing had moved forward out of its position, which therefore was allowing the steering shaft to move slightly in all directions. i pushed the ring back into its proper position and sure enough the steering shaft became held in place and no longer had any play.

i then reassembled the column again for the second time and after placing the steering wheel back on double checked to make sure there was no movement, and there wasnt. i took it for another test drive down the road and made sure both turn signals turned off on their own (which they did), but then after making a 3 point turn around to head back to my driveway, the wheel went back to having an inch or more of movement/play and the turn signals went back to not turning off on their own.

so i repeated the whole process a third time, this time using a small center punch to tap around the ring to ensure it was seated in as far as it could go, put everything back together very delicately, only to have the same thing happen during another test drive.

so my question is why the hell is this ring/bearing not staying in its place on its own? i was very meticulous during the initial breakdown of the column to not lose any parts and put everything back exactly how it was, but for some reason this ring/bearing just does not want to stay in place. i though about using loctite or some other adheasive on the edges of the ring before reseating it, but the inside edge touches the steering shaft which has to move freely, and the outside edge sits against the ball bearings which also have to move freely.

ive attached an exploded view of the entire stearing column and its individual components, and based on the diagram i believe the ring/bearing i am referring too is labled either #13 or #14, or possibly #31, but im pretty sure its one of the first two.

i did research this issue, and for the most part the only things ive come across are people posting questions about a loose steering column, and resolving the problem by tightening or replacing the 4 torx screws which sit under the signal components, but that is the fix for a loose or wobbly steering COLUMN, my column is secured and fine, its the steering SHAFT that is moving.

so i really hope someone knows why this is happening or has an idea of how to fix it, ANY AND ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED, THANKS!!!

-chris

Last edited by cdl.computersinc; 02-16-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:01 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Look at part #5. It's a split retaining ring that snaps into a groove on the steering shaft. See if it somehow slid up on the shaft, I think it probably did. Or maybe it snapped and went twang! You need to push #6 & #7 down against the spring a bit before you'll be able to see the groove in the shaft. You might even need to pull up on the shaft at the same time, which would require a third hand. When you see the groove, push the lock ring down the shaft with a screwdriver until it snaps in. I think once you see it, it'll make sense.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:28 AM

thanks for your quick response, unfortunately both the second and third time that i took the column apart those were the first things because i was afaid that maybe they had opened up too much and werent staying in the retaining slots like they should.

however, both the first retaining ring (part #2) which is actually a snap ring, as well as the second retaining ring (part #5) which is just plain ring with a gap were still in their correct retaining slots and where still doing their job of keeping the airbag inflate restraint (part #3) held back in place as well as the lock plate/shaft (part #6) in its correct place. the wave washer is installed correctly as well (part #4).

and just to clarify, other than this ring/bearing not staying in permanently, the rest of the dissassembly and reassembly all three times went without a hitch

what my thoughts are on the reasoning behind this, and hopefully someone can say for sure if this idea is or is not correct, is that i am missing the upper bearing ring (part #13), and part #14 is the actual bearing that im unable to get to stay in its place. my reasoning behind this is cuase number 1; even though its not the best picture/diagram and lacks detail especially with the small parts, when i enlarge the image part #14 looks more similar to the bearing that keeps coming out when compared to part #13. and if that is the case, then not having the #13 bearing ring placed ontop or covering the #14 ring could be the reason why it keeps popping out on its own -- nothings stopping it!

so thats my guestimate at the moment and hopefully someone can verify or shutdown that theory. thanks again for such a fast response, and ill be eagerly awaiting more input! thanks! -chris

Old 02-16-2010, 09:14 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

So you're saying for sure #13 is m.i.a.? Then that would be your problem. The spring #8 is a high tension spring and keeps the bearings 13 & 14 sandwiched together. But with no #13, your sandwich is missing some meat! Who took it? And it's weird that the column didn't start acting up on you until you started messing with it. When you had the column apart the first time, did you take the bearings out, or did you stop at the turn signal switch?

Old 02-16-2010, 11:56 AM

im not saying that #13 is m.i.a. for sure, but you basically answered my question which was if #13 is missing, would that be a reason for #14 to not stay seated between the ball bearings and the steering shaft.

to answer your question, when i first took the column apart i did stop at the turn signal components, and did not mess with bearings at all... but even though i didnt remove any of the turn signal components, at that point youre still able to see and access the bearing in question (the one thats popping out on its own). but that very first time when i dissassembled the column i didnt pay any attention to the bearing at the time, cause i was just putting in the new signal return spring. and thats where i think i screwed up, because since i didnt pay any attention to anything lower than the turn signal components, im not sure if #13 was there and somehow fell out or what... but i highly doubt that wouldve happened since it wouldve had to move all the way up to the end of the steering shaft to fall off, which at that point is like 6 or 7 inches it wouldve had to move up in order to fall off ya know.

i also thought the #8 spring would hold #13 and #14 down and in their proper positions, but it actually has a smaller circumference by 1 or 2mm, so unfortunately it doesnt touch or apply any direct pressure to the troublesome bearing, and therefore its still coming out on its own.

do you have any ideas on where i might be able to find real pictures of #13 and #14 so i can know for sure which one im having problems with and if i am in fact missing #13?

thanks again, talk to you soon! -chris

Old 02-16-2010, 01:33 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I guess you'll have to do a search and rescue then to see what's what. You did remove the lock ring #5 and all the stuff below it including the #8 spring? If your #13 bearing is missing, let's assume that it might have been stuck to the spring with some old grease, and dropped out without you noticing...maybe.