Loose steering column

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 09:51 PM
XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX
Default Loose steering column

My column is loose at the tilt nukle and I would like to tighten it, I have done tons of steering wheels but never one with an airbag, I am very mechanically inclined but am unsure of this. has anyone ever done one of these ?

Old 12-08-2010, 10:43 PM
1st Gear Member

id like to know this too, I have the same issue

Old 12-09-2010, 02:03 AM
3rd Gear Member

Every 4th gen has this issue

Old 12-09-2010, 09:16 AM
4th Gear Member

sorry

my 4th gen is fine but my 3rd gen that I'm restoring I'll be doing it this weekend prior to installing the new carpet

Old 12-09-2010, 11:17 AM
XxCaMeLxxToSiSxX

I found this article which I found helpful to this subject.
http://www.fbodyonline.com/forum/f20...ontrols-43069/

Old 12-10-2010, 01:28 AM
Overdrive Member

OK the airbag is no big deal if you be careful. I posted around here somewhere how to take this all appart but I cant remember where it was a while ago.

Disconnect the battery and walk away from the car for about 1/2 hour to and hour. DONT SKIMP THIS STEP or you will be punched in the face with your air bag. (dont ask how I know just trust me here! (stupid 3rd gen FB)

Remove the bags by removing the screws from the rear of the wheel.
Unplug air bag
Use lock ring pliers and remove air bag coil. DO NOT TURN COLUMN SHAFT OR COIL CENTER AFTER THIS STEP! (you may have to unplug the coil from under the dash to remove it enough. Airbag plugs are always yellow)
Now you need to use a lock plate removal tool to remove the lock plate, be careful with the little metal ring you need this.
Remove turn signal switch. (you will need to unplug it to pull it out far enough, and while you are down there unplug the wiper switch and cruise switch as well.)
Remove the buzzer contacts
remove the lock tumbler (careful not to mess the VATS wires up)
Remove the upper shroud
Using a #3 Phillips push and twist the spring retainer to remove the tensioner spring.
Using column pin removal tool remove the pivot pins
now you can access the 6pt star bolts that keep everything tight. If memory serves a 7 or 8mm 6pt socket will also work here.
Reassemble in reverse order
make sure that the rods for the ignition switch and dimmer switch are realigned in the proper locations and that they work before putting the lock plate back on.

Hope this helps

Massey

Old 12-10-2010, 06:50 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Massey
OK the airbag is no big deal if you be careful. I posted around here somewhere how to take this all appart but I cant remember where it was a while ago.

Disconnect the battery and walk away from the car for about 1/2 hour to and hour. DONT SKIMP THIS STEP or you will be punched in the face with your air bag. (dont ask how I know just trust me here! (stupid 3rd gen FB)

Remove the bags by removing the screws from the rear of the wheel.
Unplug air bag
Use lock ring pliers and remove air bag coil. DO NOT TURN COLUMN SHAFT OR COIL CENTER AFTER THIS STEP! (you may have to unplug the coil from under the dash to remove it enough. Airbag plugs are always yellow)
Now you need to use a lock plate removal tool to remove the lock plate, be careful with the little metal ring you need this.
Remove turn signal switch. (you will need to unplug it to pull it out far enough, and while you are down there unplug the wiper switch and cruise switch as well.)
Remove the buzzer contacts
remove the lock tumbler (careful not to mess the VATS wires up)
Remove the upper shroud
Using a #3 Phillips push and twist the spring retainer to remove the tensioner spring.
Using column pin removal tool remove the pivot pins
now you can access the 6pt star bolts that keep everything tight. If memory serves a 7 or 8mm 6pt socket will also work here.
Reassemble in reverse order
make sure that the rods for the ignition switch and dimmer switch are realigned in the proper locations and that they work before putting the lock plate back on.

Hope this helps

Massey
wanna come over and do my 3rd gen for me? It's a nice toasty 50 degrees today in sunny Florida