looking at this camaro to buy, please advise

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 08:41 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default looking at this camaro to buy, please advise

edit: this thread is talking about another camaro i found now.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:12 PM
4th Gear Member

-Gas does go bad, usually only takes a month or so of sitting.

-A new battery will not fix the idle issue.

On that note, in my opinion, you are taking a step down from your Mustang. The '93-95 V6 Camaro's are not not all that good. '96 and later are much better. Unless you do not care about performance in any shape or form, then it's really up to you on whether you'd want to trade your Stang or not. If it were me, I wouldn't.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:25 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Camaro S
- the guy said engine might be okay if i replace the sensors and the leaky exhaust, but he doesn't really know
- it doesn't idle on its own, u have to give gas, but maybe a new battery would fix that?
That right there could be a $50 fix for a sensor or two, or it could be a $3000 fix if the engine has a bad head gasket and has caused other internal damage. Do not follow any online recommendation to buy the car. If you're not qualified to perform engine diagnostics, then the car has to be looked at by a mechanic for you to have a much better idea of what you may be getting into. Cars that are priced cheap up front, often times end up costing you down the road.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 04-18-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes

right on thanks guys

i found a dealer with a 01, camaro with 133k milage. everything great except he is fixing the horn tonight and seeing if he can get new wheels (the one he has now are like offset and kinda stick out like monster car wheels)

otherwise i'm only worried that the axle or lugnut or something is broken and i wont be able to change out the wheels, though he said its fine, just my paranoia i guess. He called them "nascar like wheels". otherwise it drives really nicely and functions well.

he said he can trade in my mustang then i would only owe like 1k$ or something, though i think i can talk that down. what do you guys think?

Old 04-18-2013, 04:40 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

pictures,,,, not good without pictures. lol. so i take it that its a 3.8. auto or manual trans?

Old 04-18-2013, 04:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
pictures,,,, not good without pictures. lol. so i take it that its a 3.8. auto or manual trans?
its a manual, v6

Old 04-18-2013, 04:55 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

gota agree them wheels gota go. where you at, i got a set of the star wheels setting around here.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

gota agree them wheels gota go. where you at, i got a set of the star wheels setting around here.
I am in MN, if i get it I plan to get new wheels probably next year when I have more cash....i'm just worried incase the lugnut or axle or whatever is messed up and i wont be able to put on new wheels, but that shouldnt be the case right? i mean they turn and ride just fine....just hope i dont get stuck with them.

as a final list, what all should i check? theres a little switch by the radio that looks like a light bulb going towards a squiggly line ..is it a foglight switch or something? either way that switch doesn't work....is that okay?

otherwise blinkers, lights etc, all seem to work. cruise works and car seems to shift and run nicely. he says it has a glasspack which is why it sounds kinda loud, otherwise its not throwing any check engine lights or anything. airfilter looks good - theres some white residue under the oil cap but he says its from sitting so long and the cold weather...hoping its not a blown gasket - however it drives fine...thats all i can think of atm.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:23 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

try an talk him down and talk your stang up. the camaro seems to have been owned by someone that did not know much about em. that would make me look closer at it.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

try an talk him down and talk your stang up. the camaro seems to have been owned by someone that did not know much about em. that would make me look closer at it.
Right on, my biggest concern are the wheels. Could it be possible that the previous owners did something and the cars wheels are unchangeable? or that they changed the lugnut pattern or whatever and regular camaro sized wheels wont even fit on the car? These wheels do look bigger than regular camaro wheels. Or am i overthinking?

Quick Reply: looking at this camaro to buy, please advise