Looking to buy an LT1 Camaro-Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 02:51 PM
Default Looking to buy an LT1 Camaro-Questions.

I have been snooping around for awhile and toying with the idea of getting a newer z28. It looks like I am ready to pull the plug and buy one this week.

I am seeing a few 93's, most are 94-96's with auto's and t tops.

Some specific questions:

1. Are the T tops in these known for leakage? I live in the high desert, and won't be driving in winter. However, leaks stink.

2. Auto or manual? Which is likely to be trouble free for the longest and why? My wife wants the stick, so do I but I find alot more with autos.

3. Any particular year better than others? I have my eye on a 96 with a 6-speed and a 95 that is auto.

Intended usage is daily driving for 8 months a year and then some performance stuff in the future.

I know about the Opti issue etc. Other things that I should look for and pay attention to? If all goes well, I will have one in my driveway this month.

Thank you for your input. I know it is a newbie question, but I just want to make a good decision. Not looking for another project, I build Jeeps and have enough of that elsewhere.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:48 PM
3rd Gear Member

T-tops will leak, yes. Before buying the car, take off the t-tops and look at the weatherstripping, see if its all intact. Ask the seller if he ever replaced the eatherstripping, and look at the carpet and floor for any signs of water marks/damage. The T56 is a stout trans and generally can take more abuse in stock from than the 4L60. M6 cars will generally run a bit more than A4's in terms of money too. Newer is better for obvious reasons, and I would prefer a 96/97 for the OBDII computer, however, I do not know the other differences the LT1 went through over the years, best to what for someone else like craby to chime in on that one.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:51 PM
1st Gear Member

The t-tops are very prone to leaking, and the seals are expensive to replace. Hard tops are actually rarer than t-tops. Stay away from the 93's, that's the odd ball year for the 4th gen's. In 96 they switched to OBD-II and it had the vented opti as well. As for the transmission it's up to you, both were reliable mechanically. An m6 car will run you anywhere from $1500-2000 more for a similarly optioned a4, so keep that in mind.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:40 PM

Well there are two cars that I am currently looking at.

The 95 is a solid roof and an auto-dead stock and has 130K. Owned by a mechanic and he claims that there is zero wrong with it. Nothing. Everything works. $3000.

The other is a 96, leather interior, T top, 6-speed and some bolt ons. $3000 as well. It has a minor body issue but comes with the parts (a fender has a minor dent). Claims it runs and drives fine etc. My wife likes this one. The owner says that it does not leak and he lives in the rain belt of Oregon.

My guess is the 96 will be better to mod and get better mileage too. But my gut says it has been used a bit more if you catch my drift.

It does not rain here much and it will be under cover in the rainy season.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

You need to see them both, and whats the mileage on the 96? That one is a year newer, with a M6, if mileage is near same as the other, the M6 would probably be best (if everything else checks out)

Old 03-26-2012, 06:20 PM
2nd Gear member

The t-tops will leak if the car was driven hard (like autocross) or has a ton of miles. My car has 85k and doesn't leak one bit.

94-95 are the best years if you plan on modding because of the OBD1 computer (less emissions crap) and only 1 cat. If you're keeping it stock I'd go with 96-97.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:24 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

i like the 97 the best mainly because i like the updated dash in them over the 96 and older cars. also see it the motor has been tuned up or if thats the main reason its for sale. i was quite stickered shocked when it came time for a tune up on my old 97 z28. t-tops can leak but i had 110,000 miles on my 97 when i sold it and it leaked once because the gutter system got clogged so i cleaned that out and never had a problem with it

Old 03-29-2012, 09:49 AM

I looked at both of them via the internet. The m6 car was not as clean and my guess is that it has been used fairly roughly. Call it a 6th sense thing. Still well worth the 3k, just not for my needs. The thought of rattles and a leaking roof etc. outweighed the benefits of the m6 and OBD II.

I did indeed buy the 95. It has a solid roof, auto and is pretty clean. The only issue that I have found is the trip meter does not work. Everything else is fine. I'm amazed at how smooth and quiet it is. Mods will likely be bolt-on's such as exhaust and suspension. Not wanting to ruin the efficiency of the car since it is basically a driver.

Definately some drawbacks to the car, but I can live with them. Mainly I wanted a fast driver that is efficient and comfortable and it is all of that.

Actually I was quite astounded with the mileage at over 25 at 58 MPH.

I will have some questions etc. as time goes on. Thank you for your input and ideas.

ROB

Attached Thumbnails Looking to buy an LT1 Camaro-Questions.-dscf4219.jpg  
Old 03-29-2012, 02:36 PM
4th Gear Member

congrats on the ride

please for the love of all that is good and decent.........ditch those sawblades

Old 03-29-2012, 02:39 PM
2nd Gear member

Looks good, I've always loved the silver.

Also, new wheels should be step 1.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy an LT1 Camaro-Questions.