Keyless entry not working, alarm sounding

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Default Keyless entry not working, alarm sounding

About a month ago, I approached my car and the remote door locks were not working. I figured the remote's battery was dead and used the key to manually unlock the driver side door. After about 5 seconds the alarm sounded and was turned off when I put the key in the ignition and in the ON position. I read about some others having a similar problem but I am wondering where this came from in the first place. Did my car get hit? My car is kept in a parking garage so that's the conclusion I came to, but my remote is still not working and I have no idea why. Thanks for any input.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Just to be stupid - the battery in the remote has actually been changed?

Also, there are places that have those "remote check things" that will light up a LED if the remote still works.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:38 AM
Overdrive Member

If the car is locked with the remote or electric lock switch on the interior, it arms the alarm. When you use the key to get in after it is armed, you have a few seconds before it will start honking at you. This is normal. If you just lock the car with the key or actual manual lock, it shouldn't do that. I'm with traumadog, I didn't read if you actually changed the battery out.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:14 PM

mine actually did the same thing and i changed my remote batteries and it still did nothing. so i just went ahead and disconnected the alarm all together. im not sure what it is thats making it do that though.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Hmm.. wonder if the remote needs to be reprogrammed.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:58 PM

I'm gonna try reprogramming it when I get back from class and let you guys know how that goes

Old 02-26-2009, 05:51 PM

Before I started reprogramming I just opened the remote to check things out, took the battery out and put it back in. I used the same battery but it ended up working fine. I have no idea what that means or what happened to change this but it works fine now...we'll see how long this lasts. Thanks guys

Old 07-24-2009, 03:00 AM
Default I have the directions to reprogram your remote

Transmitter Programming

Important
All transmitters which are to be recognized by the body control module (BCM) must be programmed in a single programming sequence. If the system is placed in program mode it will erase all previously programmed transmitters upon the receipt of the programming signal from the first transmitter. Up to 4 transmitters can be programmed. Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle.

Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Remove the RADIO (#17) fuse.
Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times within 5 seconds. The BCM will confirm entry into the programming mode by performing the following actions:
Locking both of the doors.
Unlocking the driver's door.
Releasing the rear compartment lid.
Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter for approximately 15 seconds. The BCM will confirm the programming of that transmitter by performing the following actions:
Locking both of the doors.
Unlocking the driver's door.
Releasing the rear compartment lid.
Repeat the previous step to program up to 4transmitters.
Replace the RADIO (#17) fuse.
Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.