Just for you T.I.G. (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 10:38 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Just for you T.I.G. (pics)

This was a total gamble. Dealing with CL can be a grind and I knew I had a 50/50 chance of getting hosed. Well.... overall the wheels are a nice look. The bad things are that one of the front tires is a different brand than the other 3... but the same size and all the tires are a bit better than 50% tread life. The center caps are peeling pretty bad. The center spokes however are in beautiful shape. Only one rear wheel is gouged on the outter edge.

A couple a questions:

The outter rim is aluminum while the spokes are chrome. Is this normal?

The center bore of the wheels are lager than the hub on the axles both front and rear. The factory wheels were tight around the hubs. Is this ok? It seems to me the lug nuts are what actually centers the wheels.... is that how they should be?

Are these the Torque Thrust 2 or some other model? Seller wasnt sure either.... he bought them used.

Before

Name:  DSC_8374-1.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  101.8 KB

After

Name:  DSC_8604.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  74.4 KB

Name:  DSC_8609.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  86.7 KB

Name:  DSC_8608.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  86.9 KB

Old 07-11-2012, 10:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

nice looking rims either way!

Old 07-11-2012, 10:45 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by bricooper78
nice looking rims either way!
Thanks man. $400. was a good buy I think.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:19 PM
4th Gear Member

If those wheels turn up missing, it's cause I stole them for looking too good.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Oooooooh, nice. Those were a good deal!
Look at the back side of the wheels, there may be a manufacturer's name there.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:36 AM
2nd Gear member

Seller said they are Torque Thrusts... He said this "they are old school universal TT" I looked around on the web last night for the exact design and couldnt find them. I drove around on them for a while and they seem smooth and true, so I guess theyre ok as far as the hub/lug design. My wife likes driving this car too and I dont want to put her in danger with the wrong wheel on the car.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:52 AM
4th Gear Member

Congrats on the new car purchase. No wait, it just has real wheels on it now.

Seriously, you got a good deal. The bonus was the hub opening was already there so you could slap them right on.

I like black with chrome. Also, you could probably go 275's all around when it's time for tires. I tend to find that Home - Discount Tire Direct has the best prices and got Sumitomos for a good deal recently and they are wearing much better than Hankook, Toyo and Nexen which I've had before. Not to promote the site but I just put Kumho on 3 of my vehicles and even after paying a shop $75 to mount/balance 4 tires per vehicle I still saved at least $100 per vehicle and got decent tires.

Now we need to work on you about painting those calipers an off-setting color so it pops. Since the wheels are chrome then silver is out.

What you do is go to Wally world and get a few cans of their cheap spray paint in various colors. I suggest gold might look real good but what do I know, I wear horizontal and vertical stripes together and think I'm styling.

then, you put masking tape over the calipers and paint each one a different color and choose which you like. After that you can get the Duplicolor high temp paint ( you don't need to get the expensive caliper paint kits) in the color you like.

I would love to have a black car again but In FL it's not practical.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:54 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Oooooooh, nice. Those were a good deal!
Look at the back side of the wheels, there may be a manufacturer's name there.
anything with "torque" in the name must be good................

Old 07-12-2012, 07:55 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Your old wheels were "hub centric" meaning the center of the wheel fits snug to the hub on the car. Your new wheels are "lug centric" meaning the lug nuts are what keeps the wheels centered to the hub. Hub centric is best, since it's an extra element that holds onto the wheel. But there's nothing wrong with being lug centric, it's done all the time.
If you were off-roading the Camaro and taking jumps, then I'd be more concerned about it, as well as your mental state.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:56 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
Congrats on the new car purchase. No wait, it just has real wheels on it now.

Seriously, you got a good deal. The bonus was the hub opening was already there so you could slap them right on.

I like black with chrome. Also, you could probably go 275's all around when it's time for tires. I tend to find that Home - Discount Tire Direct has the best prices and got Sumitomos for a good deal recently and they are wearing much better than Hankook, Toyo and Nexen which I've had before. Not to promote the site but I just put Kumho on 3 of my vehicles and even after paying a shop $75 to mount/balance 4 tires per vehicle I still saved at least $100 per vehicle and got decent tires.

Now we need to work on you about painting those calipers an off-setting color so it pops. Since the wheels are chrome then silver is out.

What you do is go to Wally world and get a few cans of their cheap spray paint in various colors. I suggest gold might look real good but what do I know, I wear horizontal and vertical stripes together and think I'm styling.

then, you put masking tape over the calipers and paint each one a different color and choose which you like. After that you can get the Duplicolor high temp paint ( you don't need to get the expensive caliper paint kits) in the color you like.

I would love to have a black car again but In FL it's not practical.
I have 2 black cars and its a PIA here in Colorado too.... lots of dust. So you approve? Cool!! So is it normal that the hub openings are about a 1/4 larger (maybe a little less) than the hub on the car? Is "lug centric" ok?

Quick Reply: Just for you T.I.G. (pics)