Just got me a camaro!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Default Just got me a camaro!

This weekend i got a 94 z28 in excellent condition for 5800! Body and motor has 85k on it! Ttop tops. I wanna keep it some what original so as far as mods go whats the best to start? Im guessing full exhaust and a tune? Its already got k&n cold air and flow master mufflers. Oh an its an a4 auto. Pics coming soon

Old 05-02-2012, 11:42 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Gratz on the buy! Get a new fuel pump! haha

Old 05-02-2012, 11:46 AM

Haha ight will do! Any kind you reccomend?

Old 05-02-2012, 11:53 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Walbro 255 is a good one, make sure you get the install kit too

Old 05-02-2012, 12:01 PM

Ight cool! Thanks man!

Old 05-02-2012, 12:05 PM
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't buy a new fuel pump just yet. Put away cash for one in the event it fails along with money for a new optispark because that may go too at some point.

As far as the fuel pump goes, it depends on your plans for the future. You said you wanted to keep it somewhat original, so I'm thinking you'll probably only do the bolt on's, stall, and gears, but after that, you start to pull away from original. If that is the case, a stock pump from the local parts store will work. Advance carries Airtex and I've sold a few to regular customers who let me know how things work for them. Never had one returned yet.

After exhaust mods, you can do some cheaper mods such as the TB bypass (not recommended for cold climates), 160* or 180* thermostat or a tune that turns the fans on sooner or a combination of both. After that, you have the suspension and drivetrain to work with. But again, every mod you do depends on what you want and are willing to get out of the car.

Personal opinion here, and a very debated topic so it's personal preference, ditch the Flowmasters. I'll openly admit, most of them sound good and they in most cases add Hp/Tq but they do not flow as much as other brands of comparable value.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Only reason i said fuel pump was because they tend to go bad around the 115k mileage range in this car, and it doesn't change the look or sound of the car at all. If you don't care about it sounding badass instead of stock, get rid of those cats!

Old 05-02-2012, 12:43 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DanielWEWO
Only reason i said fuel pump was because they tend to go bad around the 115k mileage range in this car, and it doesn't change the look or sound of the car at all. If you don't care about it sounding badass instead of stock, get rid of those cats!
116k+ miles with original fuel pump and have yet to have a hiccup from it even after running out of gas twice with it. But there is no reason to fix it if it's not broke. That's why you put money away for one. Run the one that's in it till it dies and then buy the new one.

Ridding yourself of the cats is only possible if your state doesn't look to see if you have them and you don't have emission testing. If you just have visual (such as parts of PA) then you can order a fake straight through one. If you have the sniffer test, you'll have to keep them on.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:06 PM

Okay thanks for all the help guys! Ill prolly hold off on the fuel pump for a while, but my next mod is prolly the y pipe. Is pacesetter or slp a good company for one of those??

Old 05-02-2012, 03:07 PM

And if i get ride of the flow masters which mufflers should i go with? Pypes, corsa, borla?