Interior Repair Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 12:15 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Interior Repair Question

I need to know what kind of bonding gel/glue I need to use to put reconnect my cigarette lighter to the rest of the car. >.< I know, horrible description, which is why I have some pictures.

I hope you guys can help.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  99.2 KB
(Yes, that is electrical tape holding it on at the moment.)

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  86.6 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  99.9 KB

(I know, my baby is dirty. One problem at a time. >.<)

*Also, anyone have any tips for interior cleaning? I have tried portable vacuums and they never seen to clean very well. Any suggestions?*

Old 07-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

contact cement thats what i used for my window buttons on the drivers door

Old 07-05-2010, 12:27 PM

As for the interior: If its just trash and rocks lying on the floor take it to a car wash and spend 75 cents on it. The vacuums there usually work decently. However if it has stains on it I recommend "Tuff Stuff" it comes in a yellow spray can and you can get it at walmart or any parts store. Just follow the directions on the can and it will lift damn near anything out. It got the coffee off of my floor as well as the grease off the headliner and sun visor.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
contact cement thats what i used for my window buttons on the drivers door
Any brand? Also how does it stand in heat? It gets pretty hot during the summer.

Originally Posted by NovaBrad
As for the interior: If its just trash and rocks lying on the floor take it to a car wash and spend 75 cents on it. The vacuums there usually work decently. However if it has stains on it I recommend "Tuff Stuff" it comes in a yellow spray can and you can get it at walmart or any parts store. Just follow the directions on the can and it will lift damn near anything out. It got the coffee off of my floor as well as the grease off the headliner and sun visor.
Thanks! And does that work on like seats and what not?

Old 07-05-2010, 12:52 PM

It works on everything inside the car, you can even use on the vinyl (my seats are cloth). But i used it on the door panel, and it took the grease and dirt off with just a little bit of scrubbing. Also if you have serious stains, i would get a brush they're like 3$ at autozone.

As for the contact cement:
there are a couple types of contact cement. Flammable and non flammable. If you do use contact cement i HIGHLY HIGHLY advise using the non flammable because if open flame, such as the cigarette lighter comes in contact with the vapors of the cement, it can ignite in a flash.
However, the Nonflammable cement provides a weaker bond and with the temperature inside the car, i don't think it would last that long.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:00 PM

Also, Joining these 2 pieces together is going to be a pain. Hard plastic is terrible to put back together. Make sure though, when you are buying an epoxy or glue, that it does not shrink up as it dries, if it does this then its going to shrivel up and break the bond that it had when it was wet. Head to a hardware store, or maybe even an auto part store. I know that they sell and epoxy that is specially designed for hard plastic. I can't remember the name of it though.
If worse comes to worse, I would just use gorilla glue, its a tight bond but at the same time I wouldnt trust it to stay forever.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks very much for the input. I guess I will just try for an epoxy meant for hard plastic.