Insurance question 16 yr old.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 03:12 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Insurance question 16 yr old.

I have a 1994 camaro v6. I have been in a crash already with my parents van. Any predictions on what it would cost for insurance every 6 monts/ or a year. If my mom just put the insurance in her name, and i was not on the policy at all would i be covered if i got in a crash, she said insurance is on the vehicle, not the person so it doesnt matter if im not on the policy? any price gueses.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

She's right, insurance is on the vehicle, not the driver. BUT, her insurance company already knows you exist as a driver. Even if they didn't before, they get notified from the DMV when there's a new driver in the house. Your mom isn't going to be able to convince the ins. company that she will be driving two cars at once and that you won't be driving any. Her policy is going to be rated with a teen driver, no hiding from it. Just be sure to list you as the driver of the cheaper vehicle, but you're not restricted from "borrowing" a different car. As far as the rates, it depends on where you live, so rates I pay here for instance wouldn't pertain. Let's just say.....not cheap.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 03-23-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Tech Droid

Makes me cringe, 16 year old + Camaro + accident. To get a definite cost you will have to deal several insurance companies and compare quotes. If your school offers drivers ed, make sure to take the course, most insurance companies allow a discount of 10%. In your case it could ad up to some serious cash. Don't try to hide yourself or your record, they will find out and can even deny coverage in an accident if lied to them.

Last edited by z28pete; 03-23-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by z28pete
16 year old + Any Car + accident
Good luck at getting something under 250/month would be my guess

Old 03-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

State laws vary but here in PA any family member of driving age is covered to drive any normal car. Classic car is the only exceptions. I have my classic insurance with a different company and I am the only one insured.

If hiding your high insurance cost was so easy everyone would do it. All it takes is one lie on the insurance information sheet and the policy is void. So a simple question like are there any other family member that would use this car? is answer with a lie they keep your money and do not pay a dime in a wreck leaving your mom on the hook for anything you do wrong.

V6 Camaros are not to bad insurance wise. My daughter was Hi-risk due to 2 wrecks and my Camaro was the same to insure as her Sunfire.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:49 PM

all i know is my insurance on a old pos is sky high and im gonna be 19 here soon so good luck it will be very high and i have a perfect record

Old 03-23-2012, 09:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Well aslong as you piggy back on your parents insurance it wont be bad. Insurance on my v8 camaro is not expensive at all, I am 23 years old but I do have an extensive driving history lol. Camaro_69 is absolutely right as insurance will also matter on location. we pay less on the west side of michigan vs the east side (the dirty d).

Old 03-23-2012, 10:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I agree with Gorn. I have a 16 year old Son that got his license Jan 5th. He totaled my 99 V6 Camaro March 3. He did not even make it two months so I am a bit familiar with your situation.

To begin with I am required to list all licensed drivers that live in my house on my policy and pay the rate for them or Excluded them. If I had not listed my son on the policy he would not have been cover and I would have been out the nice $4700 check they gave me for the car. But pre accident back in Jan when he got his license Adding him to our policy made our insurance on a 2011 Camaro, a 2002 Escape, and a 1999 Camaro go from roughly $1400 a year to $2600 a year. I took my son with me to talk to the insurance agent after his wreck and the agent said because we have been with them so long we have one major accident forgiveness every 5 years so this one should not effect our rates but if he has another or gets a ticket he will have to nearly sell his soul to the devil to be able to pay for insurance

Old 03-23-2012, 10:58 PM
2nd Gear member

Idk I wonder if it would be cheaper to just go under my mom, if i did get in a crash it might be cheaper to lose the money for the car than to pay insurance. But would i still be covered if i got pulled over, and my name wasnt on the insurance card would they say i was driving without insurance.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:41 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 94ChevyCamaroV6
Idk I wonder if it would be cheaper to just go under my mom, if i did get in a crash it might be cheaper to lose the money for the car than to pay insurance. But would i still be covered if i got pulled over, and my name wasnt on the insurance card would they say i was driving without insurance.
in the states where I have lived, and now in FL, you don't have a choice

insurance companies won't even talk to a 16 year old. Also, if the title is in mom's or dad's name then that is who MUST insure the vehicle. You have no say whatsoever.

you'll be piggy-backing your mom's policy and here is fair warning to mom so please have her read this

when you get sued for being in an accident, the owner of the vehicle is the one who gets sued

So, I encourage mom to load up on liability insurance. There are many lawyers looking for work and in a down economy, lawsuits from collisions occur a lot. If mom chooses 50k or 100k liability and has a 401k, savings, a job or a home, then she is taking a very large risk and exposing herself

And, liability is the most expensive part if insurance, not the collision part.

when my son got his license, and was added to our policy, the difference per month for having a 95 Z28 in the house vs a toyota pickup was about $8.

It's not the vehicle that matters, it's that you are male and under 25 and with an accident under your belt, you confirm what they already know, young male drivers are terrible but think they are awesome

Quick Reply: Insurance question 16 yr old.