Instrument Panel DEAD....

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 01:37 PM
AF1
Default Instrument Panel DEAD....

I've been researching the forum all morning and can't find anything yet so thought I'd go ahead and ask!

99 Camaro, 3.8l, convertible, approximately 86k miles. Belonged to my son's grandmother and she just gave it to him as a graduation gift. Here's the problem:

While driving it home, the entire instrument panel went dead: no odometer, gauges, speedo, nothing. Dash lights are fine, but not one single gauge works. Thought "no big deal" until i also saw the digital odometer was also gone. Any ideas?

Old 03-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Overdrive Member

2 things come to mind here, First is the fuse and the second is the plug in the back of the cluster. Check those out!

Massey

Old 03-14-2011, 03:22 PM
AF1
Default Ok, will do

I'll try to run through that tonight.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:20 PM
AF1

Didn't get time yet to check electricals, but i did open up the radiator to a nasty surprise.....very thick, and i mean thick, mud in there. Smells like burnt transmission fluid. I'm going to assume the tranny oil cooler is cracked in there. Already ordered a new radiator. No water in the tranny as far as i can tell but i guess a fluid change and new filter are in order.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Overdrive Member

Dont jump to conclusions quite yet. The factory coolant is known to turn into mud if standard (green coolant) is added or just after being in the car too long. I would give the cooling system a good flush and clean it out first, then fill with only water and run around for a bit and see if there is oil in the coolant. If so then replace if not drain the water and replace with Prestone All Makes All models antifreeze, bleed properly and you should be good to go.

Massey

Old 03-15-2011, 02:07 PM
AF1
Default Well...

I have experienced that before with both my oldsmobiles. But, i checked all the fluids before we brought it back from NY and everything was fine. It hadn't been driven since last September. The radiator looked good too. But after driving it from Albany to here (maryland) the tranny was 1.5qrts low and the radiator was full of that nasty goop. So i figured what the hell...can't hurt to put a new one in i guess.

What other things would be a good idea to do since she only drove it from May-September every year? All new brake fluids, etc?

Old 03-15-2011, 02:54 PM
Overdrive Member

it prolly would not hurt to have the brake fluid changed out. I am going to have that done to my car later this month when I get my brakes done. I have no documents stating if the fluid has ever been flushed. My local shops are asking $50 for a brake system flush.

Massey

Old 03-18-2011, 06:36 AM
AF1
Default Crap

Well, I've checked everything i can check as far as wiring, fuses, etc. Found nothing. The dash is still dead... So, one of neighbors comes over and says "I think my sister had that same problem. She had to have some module removed, sent to GM along with a new one, and have the new one reprogrammed to match the old one (for the odometer) and then installed." Anyone know what the hell that might be? This is killing me. I can't get it on the road til i get this fixed and i sooooo don't want to have to take it to a slealership for ANYTHING......maybe i have no choice though?

Old 03-18-2011, 05:40 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Massey
it prolly would not hurt to have the brake fluid changed out. I am going to have that done to my car later this month when I get my brakes done. I have no documents stating if the fluid has ever been flushed. My local shops are asking $50 for a brake system flush.

Massey
Take that 50 and invest in a pressure brake fluid changing kit, they are worth it and you won't need a programmer with the camaro. Summit/Jegs has them and they are wonderful.

Originally Posted by AF1
Well, I've checked everything i can check as far as wiring, fuses, etc. Found nothing. The dash is still dead... So, one of neighbors comes over and says "I think my sister had that same problem. She had to have some module removed, sent to GM along with a new one, and have the new one reprogrammed to match the old one (for the odometer) and then installed." Anyone know what the hell that might be? This is killing me. I can't get it on the road til i get this fixed and i sooooo don't want to have to take it to a slealership for ANYTHING......maybe i have no choice though?
I would give it a tune up, change the fuel/oil/air filters, change oil, spark plugs and wires, headlight fluid, check the brake lines, run some sea foam though it also.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Overdrive Member

I can get that same tool pretty cheap through my store but I just dont feel like messing with it. Maybe I will when the weather warms up a little.

Massey

Quick Reply: Instrument Panel DEAD....