Ignition lock cylindar like problems, need ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Overdrive Member

the Accy not working sounds like the ignition switch is not adjusted right which would also explain the no starting stuff too. I dont know why forward only wheels would matter but... To set the switch properly you leave the key in the off position and set the switch to the off position. place the switch over the rod and remove any slack by lightly pushing the switch forward as you tighten the screws. Then reinstall the dimmer switch and remove the slack in that rod by pushing the switch into the rod slightly.

The ignition switch rod PULLS to start the car and it is a push to ACCY
The dimmer switch PUSHES to activate the dimmer.

Also there may be a cable (I should say there should be a cable) that goes into the ignition switch as well. This cable is the Park lock out cable (only found on automatics)... er... I see you have a 6M. I am going to leave that in there tho for those who may be looking at it for their cars.

You could also try taking the switch off and make sure that it slides good into all positions. If it binds then it could need to be replaced.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2018&ppt=C0039

Here is the switch from O'reilly Auto

Massey

Old 11-08-2010, 03:15 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

My ignition switch was replaced about a year ago, I would hope it's not going out already, but I'll take a look at all this maybe tonight, tomorrow at the latest. Can you get to the switch by taking the lower dash trim off, or is there more you have to take off?

Old 11-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Overdrive Member

Usually just the lower trim and sometimes you have to remove the 2 15mm nuts holding the column to the dash so you can pull it down far enough to gain access.

Massey

Old 11-08-2010, 03:34 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Cool, I'll try to get to that when i get home this afternoon.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:11 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

As usual you guys are da bomb. I just got done working on it and it seems like everything was just the switch not being set right. It was a major pain to get into that dang thing, but I got my acc's working now, and did a bunch of starts with the wheel all the way or abouts on each side with no problems, so we'll see how it goes from here on.

Thank you all and I'm not so intimidated by the steering column now.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Overdrive Member

Good to hear that you got it all going good.

Massey

Old 11-09-2010, 12:38 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Is there anything right around that area that I could of hit or disconnected to make my ABS inop light come on and stay on. Because since I messed with that, that light has been on. I didn't mess with the ABS comp either, just right around the switch.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Overdrive Member

Nothing I can think of with the ABS system is connected to the steering column or ignition switch, not on this old of a car anyway.

Massey

Old 11-09-2010, 01:02 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I didn't think so and I wasn't that close to the ABS comp and there's only 1 or 2 plugs that go into that and I know I didn't mess with them. It's got me dumbfounded. I'll go get it checked out Thursday and see what code it is.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Overdrive Member

Some newer vehicles have a steering wheel position indicator for the traction control systems and when those get messed up they will pop a ABS or Trac light but that is about 10 years newer tech than our cars have.

Massey

Quick Reply: Ignition lock cylindar like problems, need ideas.