Ignition lock cylindar like problems, need ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 07:57 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Ignition lock cylindar like problems, need ideas.

Ok, I was having ignition lock cylindar problems a while ago. You turn the key and nothing happens, well I replaced the cylindar and it seemed to fix the prolbem. But just a week after that I'm having kinda the same problem, but only when the steering wheel is turned a good amount in either direction. I was thinking maybe the wire that goes to the cylindar was maybe getting pulled a little with the steering wheel turned, but I don't know if that's possible. Any ideas would be great as I would like to tackle this myself.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Overdrive Member

So you can turn the key but it does not unlock the steering wheel or activate the ignition switch? Is that correct? If so then I would take the column apart down to the top cover and check the nylon gear that engauges the rack and see if it is cracked.

Massey

Old 11-07-2010, 09:16 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

No, it all works like normal, except that when the steering wheel is turned either way it will act like the lock cylindar is bad. But turn the wheel straight and it's fine, starts right up.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Overdrive Member

OK so the lock cylinder does not want to turn when the wheel is anywhere other than straight ahead. This is not uncommon. There are two things that cause this. THe first is just pressure from the steering mech riding on the lock pin. The second is the spring that pushes the lock pin forward. If that spring is deformed the pin will not pull back properly. Oh yea the nylon gear pulls the pin back and it can wear enough to not pull the pin back properly. Ok so I lied there are 3 things!

Massey

Old 11-07-2010, 04:02 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

No, Everything moves fine, it's just the car will not start when the steering wheel is turned in either direction enough. When the wheel is pretty much straight it starts right up no problem.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Overdrive Member

So the key still turns fine but the car will not turn over unless it is heading straight ahead. That is what you are saying.

I have been rebuilding that column for almost 20 years now and this is the first time I have heard about this problem. Key not turning is common but the key turning and not starting is usually related to the switch itself under the dash or one of the safety lockouts. None of which would be effected by the position of the steering wheel.

Massey

Old 11-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Overdrive Member

if you wiggle the wheel up and down does the column move near the base?

Massey

Old 11-07-2010, 05:33 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You got it now, not as far as I've noticed, just went and checked it out and no.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Overdrive Member

Well here is the exploded View of the column and I cant see a correlation between the steering wheel position and the ability to start.

http://shbox.com/1/steering_column_exploded.jpg

The only other things I can think of is chaffed wires that somehow ground out when the wheel is turned.

You sure lost me on this one and I consider myself an expert on these columns

Massey

Old 11-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

What about the pivot connection at the key switch? Although I don't see how turning the wheel could affect that, maybe it is. Possibly his ignition switch is on the verge of barely catching and a little bit of a tweak throws it off. You might want to try loosening the two mounting screws on the ignition switch (located further down the column) and try sliding it up a little more.

Quick Reply: Ignition lock cylindar like problems, need ideas.