Ignition Coil Missfire?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 02:08 PM
1st Gear Member

hehehe

Old 01-13-2011, 02:09 PM
1st Gear Member

but seriously I heard that we LS1 owners have to drop the motor to do plugs...I haven't tried yet but that is the word around the campfire.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:15 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Kopack2007
yeah the hood does get in the way. LOL

haha not the hood dono if u noticed but the wires go under the engine and there is a metal plate covering a good portion of the engine its hard to get to it i tried once and I barely got 2 wires out still wasn't able to change the plugs...beauty of the camaro i guess

Old 01-13-2011, 04:12 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmoncur
but seriously I heard that we LS1 owners have to drop the motor to do plugs...I haven't tried yet but that is the word around the campfire.
WTF? who told you that? LS1 should be easier since its coil on plug.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:36 PM
Overdrive Member

The LS1 you can reach 7 of 8 plugs from the top and the only one you cant is the #8 plug which is on the right side rear of the engine. You have to go from underneath and that will take care of that.

On the 3.8L you have heat shields that make changing the plugs a little of a challenge. This can be a pain but trust me here when I say you need these shields and they are all in the way.

Massey

Old 01-13-2011, 08:24 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Massey
The LS1 you can reach 7 of 8 plugs from the top and the only one you cant is the #8 plug which is on the right side rear of the engine. You have to go from underneath and that will take care of that.

On the 3.8L you have heat shields that make changing the plugs a little of a challenge. This can be a pain but trust me here when I say you need these shields and they are all in the way.

Massey
so what would you recommend to do if u wanna change the plugs is there a way to take the shield off?

Old 01-14-2011, 12:22 AM
Overdrive Member

well for the center plug on both sides you need the shields off... You could bend them out of the way or cut them out. You should really think about keeping them in place, especally on the driver's side with the brake lines and steering gear parts right next to the exhaust.

Massey

Old 01-14-2011, 02:40 AM
2nd Gear member

well for the center plug on both sides you need the shields off... You could bend them out of the way or cut them out. You should really think about keeping them in place, especally on the driver's side with the brake lines and steering gear parts right next to the exhaust.

Massey
So from what i hear im guessing there is no way to unscrew it and then screw it back on is there cuz if u say its important i dont want to cut it

Old 01-14-2011, 07:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Massey

Good to know...Like I said I hadn't tried just the rumor that I heard from a couple people.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Overdrive Member

THe heat shields have nuts that hold them on to the studs in the manifolds. Mine came off really easy and none of the studs broke. Look on the exhaust manifolds you should see the nuts. If you have the 2000 or newer you will not have to worry about this since the redesign of the manifolds make spark plug access easy.

Massey

Quick Reply: Ignition Coil Missfire?