I think My camaro needs ether $4000+ dollars in repairs or its going to die :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Default I think My camaro needs ether $4000+ dollars in repairs or its going to die :(

Hey there guys.

Iv had my 1995 Camaro for about 4 years now. My dad got it for me as a High school graduation present. Its the basics of the basic as far as Camaros go. Its a V6 engine and when my dad got it for me it came with 150,000 miles on it.
The previous owner did not take very good care of it as it was very evident from the condition of the seats which had a lot of torn fabric on them. I also had to repair the transmission on it, the 4 shocks, starter, and brake pads which was a costly $1400 dollar repairs. Considering the car cost my dad $2200 I have basically put in almost as much as the cars original cost.

I have some worries and concerns about my car. First off My V6 engine can just only make it to the 90mph top speed before it is about to blow up. Up a hill on full gas the car can't do more than 75mph. I don't know if this is due because the original V6 is a very weak engine, or maybe because its an old engine that already has about 164,000 miles on it.

I really like how my car looks, so far I go around many dealerships and find very few cars that I like as much as my Camaro. Sure the paint could use some work, and the broken the yellow front blinker plastic is also broken from a small run in with a wall while I was learning to drive...

Anyway Its kinda beat up, So I decided to get it back up to par and I have roughly $3000 to do it.

I want my car to feel like It never felt before, new clean fresh, I hope that $3000 is enough to do this.

I probably may need a new engine. I herd some good V6 reconstructed ones can cost from $800-1300 depending on quality, and the V8 are around the $1500 dollar range.

I am also wondering what can I do to get slightly better MPG out of my car. Right now I am getting around 19-20 MPG highway. I was wondering if there is any modifications that can be done to cars to improve their mpg without hindering their performance.

Id like some suggestions, maybe ask me if I need to post pics of what Id like to repair or something. Any help would be great. Thanks guys. Hopefully some one here is a mechanic as well as a Camaro fan

Old 09-25-2009, 10:48 PM
3rd Gear Member

Which V6 do you have, 3.4 or 3.8?

Old 09-25-2009, 11:41 PM

The top of the engine said 3.4SFI. I assume that Means 3.4 I'm sorry If I sound very ignorant I kinda am. I basically have no formal or informal training on anything outside of change the tires and oil when it comes to cars...so I am looking for advice from here.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:40 AM
4th Gear Member

You can save alot of that money if you do some of the work yourself, if you are in to that kind of stuff. Spend $25 for a repair manual at the local parts store or buy some shop manuals on ebay. Some common hand tools, bloody knuckles, bandaids and a Saturday afternoon and you will be surprised how much you can do and how much money it saves you.

I bought a Camaro with a blown engine with my son, had no idea how to get the engine out of the car. Read several good post on here about engine removal and now have replaced that engine and am about to do another one, for my daughter, shes helping and learning.

Around here, one can pick up a good engine ranging from $400 to $1000 depending on the mileage.

Plugs and wires can be a PITA to replace.

There is a wealth of knowledge with the posters here if you run into questions.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I think if you are going to keep a older car you are going to need to work on it yourself. I would start doing heavy research and like the previous poster said get a repair manual. You will be suprised how much money you can save yourself on labor and on parts if you buy them online. Stay away from the stealership for parts. Got any pictures of that ride?

Old 09-26-2009, 06:40 PM
2nd Gear member

with 164,000 you'd think you could still get the car up and cruise. When is the last time the plugs and filters were changed?

Old 09-26-2009, 11:28 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

im with him^^^ whens the last time the car has had a tune up and oil change? fuel filter? have u had it scanned for trouble codes. do it and let us know what the codes are. u could have some issues that will not require a engine change to make u happy. that milage is not good. u should be getting 25 or better so something is not right.