I need some help guys

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 02:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default I need some help guys

Ok well, my Z28 has been acting funny lately. It has around 85,400 miles or so, K&N Intake, and the rest is stock. Well first of all, when I start the car, the RPM jumps around sometimes acting funny, sometimes it stays at like 2RPM so I turn the car off and start back up and then it will go down to 1RPM. Well, the main problem is like when its idling, the RPM goes below 1 and the Service engine Soon light comes on, the fan also turns on, but I dont have or ever had any problems with the car heating. Also when Im driving, the RPM doesnt drop when I put it on nuetral like it normally use to. It stays high and drops as I slow down.. pretty strange? Please check out my video and try to help if you can.. My car was running perfect about 2 weeks ago.
When I drive at high speeds it seems pretty normal.

A friend said his dad has similiar problems on a Ranger truck and they swapped to computer and fixed the problem.. could this be the computer jacked up? I have no clue, my knowleged about cars is very limited so any help is appreciated before they rip me off at the shop. I am very bumbed out about this.. my poor car

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cdLNJ79Ed2k

Old 07-01-2008, 03:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: I need some help guys

Also, the car has trouble starting, I replaced the starter and still have trouble. (grr) It will start but never at the 1st attempt, usually by the 3rd or 4th attempt it will start. (it only starts at the 1st attempt when its recently been started) All this happend around the same time so Im guessing its the same problem, Im guessing maybe the computer is bad?

Old 07-01-2008, 11:10 PM
Overdrive Member

most likely you need a tune up, you do have a miss, start by doing the plugs and wires, if its still acting like that you might need to change the distributor.the fan comes on because its at the temperature where its supposed to come on

Old 07-02-2008, 08:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I had this same problem with my 4.3L. my egr valvewas pluged with carbon. I cleaned it out and it ran like new.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:14 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the replys guys, I will first check the egr valve first then if it still does it, I will tune it up. I have to wait for this weekend though till I can start working on it. Im crossing my fingers.. I miss my healthy car

Old 07-03-2008, 04:37 PM
3rd Gear Member

How long have you had the car??

Old 07-04-2008, 04:06 AM
In the Staging Lanes

For about a year now.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:08 PM

Have it scanned. If it's setting a light, there may be a code stored in the pcm whether or not the light is on.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I went to autozone but they said they can't scan it because its a 94' and said it has to be a 96' or higher. Also, the light turns on while its idling for a bit, but after I drive off, the light turns off, but as I stop at a light or say a drive thru, it happends again
thanks for your help so far though, I appreciate it.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok to clean the egr valve do I need to comepletely remove it (unscrew it) for me to clean it? I took the little hose off that goes the egr valve and cleaned it and It took longer for the light to come on, I thought I had it Can anyone tell me how to properly clean it please, Im not too good with cars. Thanks

Quick Reply: I need some help guys