How to tell if a cylinder is not firing or misfiring?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 01:51 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have you fixed the temp sensor issue yet, deal with the known problems first.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:46 PM
3rd Gear Member

Have you fixed anything?

Old 08-17-2012, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I fixed the IAT issue! I made a jumper wire to pin 8 on the pcm (IAT 5v reference wire) and attached it to the sensor, now its reading properly. I have no idea how I am going to professionally rewire it because everything is wired to tight..

I still feel like its misfiring and has loss of power, I tested the front 6 cylinders and they seem fine. I will have to remove the EGR tube to get at the back p/s cylinder to see if one of the rear cylinders are the case.

I will update to see what I find, thanks for your curiosity!

Old 08-17-2012, 03:16 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

cut and splice a new wire in, tape it to the exsisting harness.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:11 PM
3rd Gear Member

RFX i think you are onto something, Im having a similar issue as the OP, youre saying to hold the spark plug wire right above the boot to actually feel the miss?

Old 08-17-2012, 05:39 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i think he is talking about a lose plug wire, how it feels different than one thats on all the way. at least i think thats it. good way to check for miss is to remove one plug wire at a time replacing once you find if its hitting or not. another way is to use a infared temp gun/gauge. if exhaust is hot coming from that cylinder its hitting.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:42 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by auto
RFX i think you are onto something, Im having a similar issue as the OP, youre saying to hold the spark plug wire right above the boot to actually feel the miss?
No I meant with everything hooked up normally just feel the wire. Not always but sometimes it feels different. On some cars there's a slick ticking feel on the missing cylinder or vise versa. The key is to feel a difference from the other wires it. If you suspect arching then get some water and mist it on the wires to better SEE any arching. The easiest way to tell on a car with coils like a ls1 is to just disconnect the coil from wiring harness to see which one makes the least difference. Warning doh running a car without a coil plugged in or purposely missing a car should set a code so keep a scanner handy to delete the codes after and write the original codes down first.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:54 PM
3rd Gear Member

crap shoot... Im working on an uncle of mine to hand over his obd2 scanner. thanks for clearing it up for me, it makes alot more sense what your saying now. I am hearing the loud tick everytime the engine misses so i will try the feel test, rubber gloves anyone!

Old 08-19-2012, 08:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Well I took all the plugs off 1 by 1 testing each one, they all sounded similar when unhooked. I sprayed the headers and every one steamed off quickley.
I guess all the cylinders are fine even though it feels like a misfire or shakey engine...
The performance isn't all that great, after I change the fuel filter and change the oil ill see how things feel.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Next step.... Compression test?

Quick Reply: How to tell if a cylinder is not firing or misfiring?