Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/)
-   -   How to pull an engine? (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/how-pull-engine-41656/)

aldistuck 08-10-2009 09:27 AM

How to pull an engine?

I have a 1998 camaro 3.8V6.
I am attempting to pull the engine from the top and want to know if that is even possible.
I removed the bolts from the bell housing and the motor mount bolts.
I removed the radiator, and pretty much everything upfront so I have the room for the engine to swing forward.

One problem I noticed on my first attempt to pull the engine as I was wenching it out is that the engine is cranking up but begins to hit the top of the car under the dash area.
This is causing me to not have clearance.... the motor mounts seem to be in the way so I think I need to remove them. But also the engine seems to be not wanting to pull away from the transmission but Im sure I have the bolts out except for one which seems to be stationary if you know what Im talking about.

Anyway Im just wondering if its even possible to pull it like Im trying to do.
Im not an expert but I can tell you now that I do not have the big tools to lift the front of my car and pull the engine from the bottom.

Thank you.

z28rob18 08-10-2009 09:37 AM

try takin the motor mounts off and if its all unbolted then lift it a few inches pull the motor forward lift it up and out. as far as droppin it goes u dont really need any special tools. if you look in my build thread we just took the engine hoist and lifted the car and put it on blocks. but it sounds lik your committed to takin it out the top.

aldistuck 08-10-2009 09:52 AM

I will take off the motor mounts entirely and give it another go.
I'm going to wait a bit and buy a hoist though becase it was a pain to get the car just right under my tree lol. I can get a cherry picker for $200 if thats a good price?

Ive already got the car back in my driveway so I would like to just pull it from there.
Just wanted to make sure that it was even possible before spending anymore money.

Thanks.

z28rob18 08-10-2009 09:57 AM

i was talkin bout a cherry picker i call it a hoist.

aldistuck 08-10-2009 10:02 AM

Ah, I see.
Well at this point Ive taken so much apart to get it out from the top I may as well continue on the same path. I dont have a clue what I'm gonna do with the engine hoist once I'm done with it though because I dont plan to open a shop. Thats the worst part about all of this is I'm gonna end up with all this equipment that I will not use again for another 10 years probably lol.

z28rob18 08-10-2009 10:08 AM

ppl buy them things all the time. actually we need a new one ours broke after we finished droppin the motor. you may lose a few bucks but you could get it sold. or buy something you can store. we have tools that have never been used tools that we've had for lik 15yrs and with wat were doin now they've become needed so you never know

craby 08-10-2009 11:23 AM

i think ur going to need to support the transmission so it does not jam the pilot bearing or the knobs that stick out to align the trans to the block. have a look at those knobs maybe spray some penetration oil on them to help. check again to make sure u have taken all the bolts out.

z28rob18 08-10-2009 11:27 AM

oh i totally forgot to ask is it a manual? if it is your gonna need to get the clutch fork off. my trans wouldnt come off the motor because of it it'd seperate maybe an inch.

aldistuck 08-10-2009 01:45 PM

I'm not sure where I'm suppose to see pilot bearings or knobs or really what they are but I'll recheck. It's an automatic transimission. I did not have the transmission supported, I thought the plate running across the bottom of the transmission would hold it. If I need to support the transmission how do I go about doing that?

z28rob18 08-10-2009 01:47 PM

trans jack or just a jack or jackstand or a few 4x4s