how to gut out cats/muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 04:12 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default how to gut out cats/muffler?

as the title says, im contemplating it. after 15 mins of driving the car idled on that hot day a few days back like poo and felt a few horses run away when driving. not to mention how quiet the car was, our minivan is louder!

Old 07-11-2012, 04:16 PM
2nd Gear member

A gutted cat will give you this weird hollow ringing tone. Just replace it. But if you're set on gutting it, remove it and hammer a long flat head through it, and finish it off with a long prybar.

Don't gut the muffler. lol

Old 07-11-2012, 04:16 PM
3rd Gear Member

You need to be tuned if you remove/gut the cat. You are better off with a whole new setup, longtubes, ory and catback. Gutting really won't net you anything as the cats are not a restriction with stock manifolds.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:17 PM
2nd Gear member

^^ A clogged cat is a restriction.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:20 PM
3rd Gear Member

Is his cat clogged? I didnt get that feeling from his first post. Way I read it was something about considering removing the cat, the rest didnt make sense to me.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:23 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Failed Devices
Is his cat clogged? I didnt get that feeling from his first post. Way I read it was something about considering removing the cat, the rest didnt make sense to me.
The second sentence makes me think he has power loss after the car idles for a bit.

But ultimately you're right, which I said if it's clogged to just replace it.
I gutted the cat on my old camaro and it sounded like ***.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by auto
after 15 mins of driving the car idled on that hot day a few days back like poo and felt a few horses run away when driving.
I believe he's suspecting the cat is to blame for the bad idle, poo, and inability to hold his horses.
Next time you take the car for a drive, park it and quickly look at the cat. If the cat is red, it's either restricted or the engine is running rich.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:09 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I believe he's suspecting the cat is to blame for the bad idle, poo, and inability to hold his horses.
Next time you take the car for a drive, park it and quickly look at the cat. If the cat is red, it's either restricted or the engine is running rich.

I thought he was talking about horses, why did you bring cats into the discussion?

Old 07-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Failed Devices
You need to be tuned if you remove/gut the cat. You are better off with a whole new setup, longtubes, ory and catback. Gutting really won't net you anything as the cats are not a restriction with stock manifolds.
Why would you need tune a car becaused you removed something that cleans your exhaust?

Old 07-11-2012, 08:18 PM
3rd Gear Member

[quote=Failed Devices;633829] You are better off with a whole new setup, longtubes, ory and catback. [quote]

WTH is ory? I'm contemplating a new exhaust but want to keep the cat as it is required to pass inspection. Long tube headers, I assume, let you keep the cat and then a nice catback system to go along with it, but wnat is thr "ory"?

Last edited by jkeaton; 07-11-2012 at 08:21 PM.

Quick Reply: how to gut out cats/muffler?