Help - LT1

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 02:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Help - LT1

So something messed up when I was changing my anti-freeze and it started leaking. I thought it might have been the freezepumps but I couldn't tell for sure and I couldn't do it myself. So i brough it to a mechanic and he ended up telling me its something leaking between the gasket and water pump or something and I need a new gasket.

He told me its about 6 hours of work and will cost about $500. Is this possibly legit or am I being ripped off? Because it wasn't leaking before i tried changing my anti-freeze, and he told me it could have been because of the chemicals I used in the flush, that they might have washed away the corrosion or something.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Help - LT1

there isnt much of a way for him to know that the gasket is blown and even if it is $85 an hour for labor is rediculous. if it is a water pump gasket it wont take six hours or anything near six hours. it would probably take him an hour or less.the water pump sits right up top. you could do it yourself.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Well he just called me back and said it was the water pump. He told me its going to be cheaper but it's still going to be about $400. Is there anything water pump related that would cost that much, because like you just said it sits right up top and would only take them about an hour.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:20 AM

sounds like he's just assuming you dont know any thing and will take his word for anything he tells you
a water pump is around 150 give or take 50 bucks maybe. if you dont want to do it yourself i would call around and talk to some other people.

different places can have a huge difference in price for things, i need a cat on my car to pass inspection(bought it with out one apparently lol), dobb's tells me $819.00, mineke tells me $199.00, something seems a bit off with dobb's lol

Old 07-10-2008, 09:58 AM
3rd Gear Member

Water pump - $150
Antifreez - $15
Labor - 1 hour (if you've done it before if not then tac on another hour)