help- issue w/ driver's window

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:13 PM
2nd Gear member
Default help- issue w/ driver's window

I know there are plenty of threads about windows not working, but I searched and did not find what I was looking for so I'm hoping someone can help.
My driver's window will not roll up all the way. It stopped working at lunch... I noticed that the auto-down function wouldn't work and I had to hold the button down. When lunch was over and I went to roll the window back up, it stopped at a little more than halfway. I figured ok, maybe the motor finally went (the windows have been slow since I got the car) so I figured I'd let it sit and try again after work. No luck, it won't even move a little bit. The other 2 switches on the driver's door work fine, and the passenger window works fine (sloooow but it works). This is the first time I've had any trouble with it other than just being slow. Earlier I had assumed window motor, but before I buy and install the motor I'd like to be sure it's not something simpler, like maybe the switch itself. Any suggestions on where I should start would be greatly appreciated... it's supposed to rain on Saturday.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:55 PM
4th Gear Member

It sounds like the motor has gone south for good. We just installed a new motor and it lasted for 2 months and crapped out Sunday. If you have an ohm meter pull the door panel off and take the wiring connection off the window motor and push the button up and down to see if you have 12 volts at the motor. If you do, it is the motor, if you don't, it could be the switch.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:30 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

try here. about half way down theres some attachments. i can repost if you can't see em. on the driver side the power goes through the express down module before it goes to the motor.
https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/power-switches-windows-door-lock-44597/

Old 06-12-2010, 10:14 AM
2nd Gear member

Thanks craby. Figured out that it is the motor. I've got the door panel off and I have access holes to get to the bolts for the motor, but my next problem is that the window is in the way. I don't see how I will be able to get the old motor out and the new one in... Is there a way to get the glass back up so the regulator & the window won't be in my way? If I can just get the clearance the rest will be easy, but right now I'm getting frustrated.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:46 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

this has some good suff, i used a wedge to hold it up.
http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

Old 06-12-2010, 04:19 PM
2nd Gear member

Thanks, I found that site too and it helped out alot. My problem was that I couldn't get the window up to be able to put a c-clamp or wedge in there. But finally figured it out, and I got the motor in. It's working great! Now I think I will replace the passenger side BEFORE it dies... it's very slow so it's probably on its way out. I'm so relieved that I fixed my window, it's going to rain in about an hour, lol.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:50 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i know i wish i woulda done my passenger side when it was fresh in my memory. its going now, the guy that had before me replaced it with a cheap one and it lasted a little over a yr. the motor made kind of a clicking noise from the get go. the oem one i got for the driver side is nice and quite just like a new car. did the regulator and motor on it.