Help!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Default Help!!!!!!

hey i need help i have a 95 v6 camaro the security light is always on and if it turns off the moment i turn off the car and try to start it its flashing also once i get the key past the lock position i can take it out of the ignition and start the car

Old 05-03-2013, 11:36 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sounds like vats is acting up. have a look at 25 26 and 27 here 4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech Aids

Old 05-04-2013, 07:34 AM

should i change the lock cylinder since i can take the key out even though its running would that help fix my problem??

Old 05-04-2013, 08:11 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 95camarodriver
hey i need help i have a 95 v6 camaro the security light is always on and if it turns off the moment i turn off the car and try to start it its flashing also once i get the key past the lock position i can take it out of the ignition and start the car
Doing that will tell the VATS system there is an error after the fact. When restarting, the security light will be on, but the engine will still start because the VATS knows you have the right key, just that something isn't right. Not positive this will help, but try disconnnecting your battery for a minute or so, and reconnect. See if that clears the VATS hiccup. And next time, don't remove the key when it's in the on/run position. If the key doesn't slide out when driving, and the ignition still locks fine, then I wouldn't worry in the least and wouldn't waste my time or money replacing the cylinder.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:24 PM

well every once in a while the security light goes off but thats usually a bad sign for me cause if i turn the car off while there no securty light on the moment i try to start it its flashing and wont start and this is happening alot more frequently

Old 05-05-2013, 09:31 AM
4th Gear Member

VATS is not seeing the key chip all the time, just intermittently.
Let's say, the car sits for an hour or two, then you go to start and no action from the starter motor.
Remove the key and wait a min 3 minutes and try again with the same key.
If engine cranks over and starts, good pssiblity it is the tumbler at fault.
A couple more starting attempts will confirm.

The tumbler has a socket with two 'leaves' feeling the key. These 'leaves' are not very strong and lose their tension over time - how many times has this '95 been started in its life?

You have to replace the tumbler by pulling the combo switch handle out, pull off the s/wheel, removoing the lock plate - patience required here, a Torx screwdriver, T25 I think.

You need proof of ownership and your key at any GM dealership in purchasing a tumbler.

In pulling the combo switch handle out of the column, you have to pull hard, but limit the stroke as you can pull out the wires from the harness, now you have to buy a combo sw. Also, remember, by either a picture or sketch of how all the harnesses in the top of the column are set. Be sure when replacing the harnesses, they go back into their original clamps and routing.

A good afternoon's work, disconnect battery, remember radio code FIRST, becaus e of the air bag.