HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default HELP!!!

My car threw the code p300 today...it says its an random misfire. but i havent noticed any misfires, also i now have plenty of oil leaking from the bottom...im kinda scared...lol

Old 07-30-2008, 07:53 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: HELP!!!

A random misfire can be any great number of things. I suspect it's electrical. A plug and wire job certainly won't hurt. If it persists, trying looking at the coil packs and ignition module. I'd actually spend 30 minutes and inspect every plug wire, looking for burn spots and areas that could allow a spark to arc to a hot manifold or block.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ok well...there is oil leaking from my car. right above the oil filter is a plug/sensor of some sort. im not sure what this is. but the oil is leaking out of that...

Old 07-30-2008, 08:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

who knows what this is...its right above the oil filter.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:38 PM
2nd Gear member

That's the oil pressure sending unit. The diaphram must be broken. Simple to change out and easy enough to get your hands on. It's a standard part. Any good parts store should have it for under $25.00.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes

what could cause that to break? it just kinda happened...

Old 07-31-2008, 02:29 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

ORIGINAL: stuyacht
what could cause that to break? it just kinda happened...
Old age, normal wear & tear. Or the fitting portion that threads into the block could be cracked, or the body of the sending unit could have a split. Is your oil gauge acting weird too? I would replace your oil-sending unit before you start messing with anything else. You might just get lucky and have taken care of the random misfire at the same time. Since you have a misfire code, and a serious oil leak at the sending unit at the same time, it makes me think the two could be related. Your misfire could be a low fuel supply/fuel pump issue. When you turn the key on, the fuel pump relay switches on, primes the pump, switches back off, and then turns the pump off. After you start the engine, the fuel pump is kept running as long as you have oil pressure (they are inter-connected as a safety feature). If oil pressure drops to zero, the fuel pump turns off. So, it’s possible the oil-sending unit might be periodically dropping to zero, making the fuel pump switch off momentarily, and then back on. Just a thought.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:58 PM
2nd Gear member

False.

The same oil sending unit on my Camaro failed. I drove the car for a week without one until I could replace mine.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:12 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Is your's a '99 or newer perhaps? Some wiring operations changed in that year, or is it a difference on all 4th gen's?

Old 07-31-2008, 09:44 PM
2nd Gear member

It was a 1998. Regardless, I have a strong feeling that they're coincidental and unrelated.