Headlight Bulbs Out

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 07:28 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Headlight Bulbs Out

'96 Camaro, 5 speed, stock

So I replaced both my low-beam headlight bulbs about a year ago, and they're both out already. One went out on Saturday while I was on a trip to Atlanta, and the other went out last night on my way home from my in-laws' house. I had to turn on my brights to get home, which radically pissed people off, LOL.

I'll be replacing both this afternoon, but I was just wondering... What would cause these bulbs to burn out so quickly? I've never seen headlights go out that soon, and it's particularly irritating because these things are $25 a pop for the cheap ones!

Old 03-22-2010, 08:18 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Well guy, no one ever said that expensive or cheap bulbs are excluded from being defective, I would suggest sylvania bulbs long life... Just keep your receipt cause there maybe a warranty available... As far as a reasoning behind the madness, they are probably just defective, I dont think there is a specific cause for this as it would be for a custom alarm or aftermarket radio system draining your battery, ya know... Hope that helps... Let me know

Old 03-22-2010, 08:58 AM
2nd Gear member

we had a thread on here maybe a month or so ago and many of us ran into a bad batch of bulbs.myself included.lots of people are changing to the replaceable bulb type.there's a thread on here to do the change

Old 03-22-2010, 09:10 AM
In the Staging Lanes

25 bucks.. geez.. 50 each here..

most of the time, when one goes out, the other one is not far behind. in your case i guess thats what happened. Perhaps those bad bulbs going around.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

When I had a 4th gen, I bought just the bulbs, carefully pried the old ones off the glass housing, and siliconed the new ones in. If you do it that way, be very careful not to touch the glass part of the bulb. The oils from your skin will greatly shorten a halogen bulbs life.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Default Oil in Radiator

There was oil in the radiator when I got my camaro. I had the radiator washed thoroughly but after using the car for two months, I see oil in the coolant when I open the radiator. what could be the possible cause and has anyone ever experienced this?

Thanks for your help as always

Old 03-22-2010, 11:24 AM
1st Gear Member

I remember the previous owner being surprised when I had to replace the bulbs last year because he said he had just replaced them not too long before that... If it's a case of a bad batch of bulbs, what are the chances that the new ones I get today will be the same way?

I'll search for the post about swapping to the type where you only have to replace the bulb, rather than the whole thing... I don't like the look of those kind nearly as much as the style I've got, but if it's going to be this much of a pain... :0(

Originally Posted by ghanahost
There was oil in the radiator when I got my camaro. I had the radiator washed thoroughly but after using the car for two months, I see oil in the coolant when I open the radiator. what could be the possible cause and has anyone ever experienced this?

Thanks for your help as always
Not sure why this question was asked in a reply to my headlight post, but most times I've heard about oil and coolant mixing it's because of a blown head gasket.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by nnewquist
I remember the previous owner being surprised when I had to replace the bulbs last year because he said he had just replaced them not too long before that... If it's a case of a bad batch of bulbs, what are the chances that the new ones I get today will be the same way?
I'll search for the post about swapping to the type where you only have to replace the bulb, rather than the whole thing... I don't like the look of those kind nearly as much as the style I've got, but if it's going to be this much of a pain...
Did you read my previous post? You don't have to buy different housings. The stock headlights use a bulb that is identical to the replacement bulb. But they don't have provisions to be screwed on, they are glued in place. Maybe the previous owner changed them that way but touched the bulbs with his bare hands?

Old 03-22-2010, 12:08 PM
3rd Gear Member

i went through 4 bulbs in a year, these where aftermarket bulbs from ebay only $8 a pair now i have hids

Old 03-22-2010, 12:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Did you read my previous post? You don't have to buy different housings. The stock headlights use a bulb that is identical to the replacement bulb. But they don't have provisions to be screwed on, they are glued in place. Maybe the previous owner changed them that way but touched the bulbs with his bare hands?
No, the previous owner replaced them the same way I did... whole housing. I'll look into your way, though. I read somewhere else that they're 9006 bulbs, or 9005 for high beams. Is that right?

Quick Reply: Headlight Bulbs Out