headers question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 05:48 PM
3rd Gear Member

The Magnaflow is a more subtle and mellow tone than the Flowmaster. The Flowmaster sounds fine at idle, but once you get on it it sounds like trash to me. You can really never get rid of the V6 raspiness, but the Magnaflow does a damn good job of making it sound good. I bought the Magnaflow off Partsgeek for about $450, well worth it. Noticable gain in throttle response, all parts were included with the package such as clamps and hangars, great looking exhaust tips and a quality product. Couple the catback with a CAI and you will be set.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by masonhoban
i didnt think that sounded to bad, my only concern with magnaflows is i cant find a set for <$450 and all the clips ive herd sound ricey in the upper rpms, + its hard to no cause alot of ppl dont have just the exhaust like mine would.
You don't have to get the full cat back. What I did with mine is I got the Magnaflow muffler from the bf as an xmas gift which was about $90. Then he used his '86 z28 3" tail pipes and clamped them on (going to be welded soon, we just bought a welder) and I bought 3.5" chrome tips which are riveted on (will be welded as well). No, it's not all stainless steel, but how often can you see clearly all the way under your car? It does the same thing and sounds amazing. It's one way to approach it on a budget, which I'm on as well. In total for my full exhaust (headers, CAI, and 'cat back') it was about $500 give or take.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DarlingReject
You don't have to get the full cat back. What I did with mine is I got the Magnaflow muffler from the bf as an xmas gift which was about $90. Then he used his '86 z28 3" tail pipes and clamped them on (going to be welded soon, we just bought a welder) and I bought 3.5" chrome tips which are riveted on (will be welded as well). No, it's not all stainless steel, but how often can you see clearly all the way under your car? It does the same thing and sounds amazing. It's one way to approach it on a budget, which I'm on as well. In total for my full exhaust (headers, CAI, and 'cat back') it was about $500 give or take.
i found someone who is selling a whisper lid so im just gonna buy that, and it needs some paint. will just get the magnaflow kit later as i dont have any pipes i can use. your car looks great by the way, and thanks for the help everyone.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:21 AM

:-)....

Old 04-18-2010, 01:24 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by masonhoban
i found someone who is selling a whisper lid so im just gonna buy that, and it needs some paint. will just get the magnaflow kit later as i dont have any pipes i can use. your car looks great by the way, and thanks for the help everyone.
They have any more to sell? Lol. Like I said, it depends on what kind of sound you want, but I'm very happy with my Magnaflow, it doesn't have that v6 sound to it at all. And thanks, there's a lot of money invested in Sof already, she's come a long way since I got her.