headers question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default headers question

im thinking about buying these pacesetter mid length headers with the y pipe (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PSM-70-1209/) for my 01 v6 that already has a slp cai and k&n filter. was wondering what kinda hp increase i should expect, if their worth the price, and if there was a part i should get instead/before.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:22 AM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

IMO, they were def worth it. HP won't be a huge bump, but it def helps, especially if you have the rest of an exhaust. I have the SLP CAI, the Pacesetters, and a Magnaflow muffler and she sounds like a v8 when I get on it, she sounds great.

EDIT: They also lightened up the front end and made the spark plugs easy to get to now.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:43 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by masonhoban
im thinking about buying these pacesetter mid length headers with the y pipe (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PSM-70-1209/) for my 01 v6 that already has a slp cai and k&n filter. was wondering what kinda hp increase i should expect, if their worth the price, and if there was a part i should get instead/before.
Your car is not going to see the gain DarlingReject's did. Her's is a 98 and had those cast iron manifolds on it. Your 01 should have a header like manifold from the factory that are not that bad. If your push a bunch of other mods it might be worth but with a CAI and a few other light mods i doubt you will feel the differents. I would think the money would be better spent on a tune or Cat back system. But that is just my opinion.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:50 AM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Gorn
Your car is not going to see the gain DarlingReject's did. Her's is a 98 and had those cast iron manifolds on it. Your 01 should have a header like manifold from the factory that are not that bad. If your push a bunch of other mods it might be worth but with a CAI and a few other light mods i doubt you will feel the differents. I would think the money would be better spent on a tune or Cat back system. But that is just my opinion.
Ah very true, I didn't take into consideration the differences in manifolds. For ME they were very beneficial and a great investment, I guess that doesn't mean for everyone else they will be. A cat back would be a good idea like Gorn said, if there's not one already, which I'm assuming there's not.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:38 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yea, headers where one of my first upgrades to my 96. I put a motor from an 02 in my 96 it came with those factory headers on it. I was going to use them but I needed the right Y pipe and that cost almost as much as the headers. Besides I was Stainless Steel headers

Old 04-17-2010, 02:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DarlingReject
Ah very true, I didn't take into consideration the differences in manifolds. For ME they were very beneficial and a great investment, I guess that doesn't mean for everyone else they will be. A cat back would be a good idea like Gorn said, if there's not one already, which I'm assuming there's not.
mmm, i figured id ask about headers first cus they were cheaper than the exhaust i was lookin at, and im a little tight on money with college and all. i did plan on getting one eventually just didnt no which i should get first, does anyone have anything good/bad to say about the flowmaster american thunder (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-17358/) or the dynomax super turbo (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-19396/)?

Old 04-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Once again, IMO, Flowmasters sound like garbage. On sixers at least. No clue about the Dynomax thing. It depends on what kind of sound you want. I can't stand how Flowmasters sound, I wanted a nice deep grumble so I went with Magnaflow.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DarlingReject
Once again, IMO, Flowmasters sound like garbage. On sixers at least. No clue about the Dynomax thing. It depends on what kind of sound you want. I can't stand how Flowmasters sound, I wanted a nice deep grumble so I went with Magnaflow.
ya magnaflows r nice but there expensive
i think im just gonna buy this guys whisper lid and take my time getting an exhaust

Last edited by masonhoban; 04-17-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:15 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I am thinking of the Mangnaflow stainless system, there are some nice prices on ebay. My car came with the flowmaster system on it. Its rusting pretty bad. Here is what is sounds like.

http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ent=Drive1.flv

Old 04-17-2010, 03:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
I am thinking of the Mangnaflow stainless system, there are some nice prices on ebay. My car came with the flowmaster system on it. Its rusting pretty bad. Here is what is sounds like.

http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ent=Drive1.flv
i didnt think that sounded to bad, my only concern with magnaflows is i cant find a set for <$450 and all the clips ive herd sound ricey in the upper rpms, + its hard to no cause alot of ppl dont have just the exhaust like mine would.

Quick Reply: headers question