HAVING PROBLEMS NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Default HAVING PROBLEMS NEED HELP

Ok everyone to begin with i have a 93 Z28, with the LT1....im new to this forum but when i was a guest learned alot of things, in the last month i had to replace the battery, fuel pump, and window motors, did it all myself work as a lube tech so i have my own tools and can do some basic things, but....lately the car has been leaking anti-freeze, oil, and today another big problem....

1. Anti freeze leak #1-I seem to think its coming out of the radiator cap because when I stop and open the hood after its running you can hear air coming out of the cap like it isnt pressurized anymore, water pump and radiator have recently been replaced and oil doesnt have any water in it, did a head gasket test and all signs there were good as well.

2. Oil leak-well cant exactly tell you where its coming from its just coming from everywhere, i know the rear main seal is going because you can see some fresh oil come from there but its to the point where im putting 1-2 quarts of Mobil 10w30 Synthetic in a month...bottom side of engine has some oil build up as well

3. Today i went to turn the good old defrost on to clear the front wind shield, looked as if i had had the windows up and had ten people breathing in the car, thats when i noticed a faint anti freeze smell, wow lookie there my passenger floor board has about a 1/4 deep puddle of antifreeze in it now....someone help me out so this old girl is good again

Old 08-12-2008, 11:31 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: HAVING PROBLEMS NEED HELP

i bet your intake is leaking
its hard to find an LT1 that hasnt leaked there

Old 08-12-2008, 12:22 PM

Your Heater core is bad, they are under the dash against the firewall, when they go bad you will have a big mess in your passenger floorboard. It's not that bad to replace nor price wise. I've done it in all of my cars so I kinda know from experiance

Old 08-13-2008, 01:14 PM
4th Gear Member

for the first problem just go buy a new radiator cap or have your current one tested. they arent expensive and play a big role in keeping the radiator pressurized (and the antifreeze from spilling out).

Old 08-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Overdrive Member

Your oil leak is more serious than just the intake manifold leaking if you're putting in 1-2 quarts every month. Do you get any blue smoke out of the exhaust? You may be burning oil as well. How many miles are on the car?

Old 08-13-2008, 09:34 PM

thanks for all the responses, there is no smoke what so ever, 135,000 miles, yeah definitly figured the cap, and the heater core, but the oil is leaking like everywhere i just didnt know where a common occurence when they started leaking was....you can visually see oil on the pan, and coming from the rear main...anywhere else is a toss up

Old 08-13-2008, 11:33 PM
Overdrive Member

The rear main may be oil dripping down from the back of the intake manifold, but with that kind of an oil leak it could be the rear main as well. Sounds like you need to pull a motor and do an overhaul.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:34 PM

Stop putting in synthetic and some of the leaks should go away.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:28 AM
4th Gear Member

Switching oils wont fix the problem... you want to fix the problem completelyinstead of looking for the quick fix. That quick fix could just cover up the damage or cause the damage to come on at a slower pace meaning you would only be messing up your engine without outstanding signs.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:37 AM
4th Gear Member

Check your thermostat as well. They are prone to go bad around 150 grand... Yours just got sick early haha. Oil could be a loose valve cover maybe? And yeah your heater core will make a mess of your floorboard...

Quick Reply: HAVING PROBLEMS NEED HELP