Having my friend help me with my heater

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 03:18 AM
4th Gear Member
Default Having my friend help me with my heater

Ok, so i read my hanes book and they said that i should check the hoses for any blockage, make sure my thermostat isnt stuck etc. So i asked my friend who rebuilt a 75 Camaro and added his own dual carb set up in his garage, if he could come take a look at it for me and decifer the problem and possibly fix it...

My dad however wont let me do it if there is anything that will leak on to his driveway, he is under the impression that if i do "flush it" or w/e needs to be done that it will include draining fluids. Is this so? If so where can i dispose of whatever it is im draining? (he thinks ill have to drain coolant).

Old 09-13-2007, 04:47 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Having my friend help me with my heater

well if its tranny/oil fluids then your local Advanced Auto Parts will take it, and most mechanics shops will dispose of it usually , also!! this i did...... take it to you local town garage, as in your highway dept garage.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:56 PM
4th Gear Member

Ok. But what if im just working with the heating system? any fluids that could stain my dads oh soo precious driveway?

Old 09-13-2007, 06:20 PM
4th Gear Member

oooooook, so... we dinked around for awhile... and we let the car run with heater on full... then we felt the pipes... cold as ice... he thinks its my core.... ideas? Basically all airpipes coming from my firewall were cold.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member

The heater core is just basically a small radiator, coolant goes through it from the motor, turn on your fan, blows air on radiator and you got hot air. If the core is not as hot as the radiator then you have no coolant going to it. Have you tried to undo both hoses, and run water through one hose to see if it comes back out through the other hose?

Old 09-13-2007, 09:53 PM
4th Gear Member

noooo lol. Whats the process? Im alil afraid to run water thru anything in my engine bay haha.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:15 PM
1st Gear Member

just undo the hoses where they come out of the engine, and run a water hose to it, hold it to the hose end, turn it on and see if water comes out of the other hose.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:44 PM
4th Gear Member

lol ive just heard bad things about water and our engines. It will be safe to? Anyone have any pics of the hoses so i kno im doing it right?

Old 09-14-2007, 07:43 PM
4th Gear Member

ok so i called my step dads mechanic and he said that i have all the ear marks of a clogged Radiator... where do i go from here... i learned the hard way radiators are easy fixes but expensive at the shops... any advice on what i can do to remedy my problem? Flush it at home?

Old 09-16-2007, 11:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah, flush it. I don't know if you want to do it at home because you have to drain the coolant.

Quick Reply: Having my friend help me with my heater