Got my car back from the shop UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 09:31 PM
4th Gear Member
Default Got my car back from the shop UPDATE

So my 2nd opinion went like this and i quote:
Found the following items needed to correct running problem-water pump (leaking on to distributor) Distributor and sparkplug wires.. After labor it will cost 1293.58
funny... they didnt hear a low end knock.. found no oil pressure problems (other than a slight leak) and no valve train noise from bank 2. So with those things and my MAF code and Lean Bank 2 code thats it... im going to chevy tomorrow to ask for my 54 bucks back... It took chevy under 30 mins to "check" my engine. it took the 2nd place 4 and a half hours.. But heres my other curiosity on 10/1/07 i had the water pump opti andwiresreplaced 7,000 miles later they all are having trouble...

Old 04-23-2008, 09:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Got my car back from the shop UPDATE

Id imagine a bad gasket perhaps on the water pump leaking into the opti which probably screwed that up. IM imagining the wires are just for good measure. Sure beats having to replace a whole engine though. Thats good news, thats for sure.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:47 PM
4th Gear Member

yeah. I can do all this work myself piece by piece. I have to take the waterpump off to get to the opti anyway no? As for the wires theres a bunch of oily goop all over em right by the boots and idk if this is normal but theres a small hole bout the size of a bic pen in the bottom of my WP and that seems to be the location of the leak but it looks like oil more than water. idk... Id have to have em fix it between like 11-230 on a wednesday or thursday.. because i worth m-t-f-s and cant have em do it then. I figure on doing the wires myself, not too difficult. not sure if i can do the other stuff without a lift or a fewhours and jack stands.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I believe if its leaking from the weep hole that means the pump is nearing death. And im not totally sure what has to come off to get to the opti. I thought it was just having to pull one of the pulleys off that are in front of it to get at it. No clue though. I imagine someone will chime in soon enough

Old 04-23-2008, 11:57 PM
1st Gear Member

my mechanic will do the opti, plugs and wires for 300. cant be much more for the pump. guess it depends on the price of the parts you want to go in. its good things aint as bad as they seemed

Old 04-24-2008, 12:00 AM
4th Gear Member

thats for sure. I cant wait to bring the new results to chevy and ask that they repay me the 54 bucks they stole from me...

Old 04-24-2008, 06:16 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't think you need anything more than basic tools to change the water pump and opti spark and the money you're saving you should go ahead and get the MSD unit and a nice new waterpump. Cool beans though my man, cool beans...

Old 04-24-2008, 08:51 AM
4th Gear Member

yeah. Im gonna go with the AC Delco Water pump, but im not sure if i want to spend 500+ on the MSD opti when i can get Summits Opti for 250 and its basically the same.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:42 AM
Ninja Administrator

*cough* TOLD YOU SO *cough* *cough*

Old 04-24-2008, 10:22 AM
1st Gear Member

I just changed my opti and water pump I would highly suggest taking the radiator out makes work a lot faster easier and be sure to get a harmonic puller that has the claws and not the screws

Quick Reply: Got my car back from the shop UPDATE