got my camaro, few issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default got my camaro, few issues

1. altenator doesn't work, dealer just charged battery and now i need to replace it.

2. need to replace serpentine belt

3. 95 automatic v6 3.4l however it doesn't idle well....like when in drive it doesn't really move i have to give it gas to go forward where as other cars it moves forward on its own. whats up with this?

Old 05-18-2013, 01:37 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

1. Guess you need a new alternator then.
2. Need one of those also.
3. Does it act like the engine has no guts? That could be because of the dead alternator not supplying sufficient voltage to the ignition. If it isn't that, and you mean the car doesn't "creep" at idle, then make sure your parking brake is disengaged. It may be disengaged at the handle, but the cable(s) in back could be frozen stiff with rust, and not releasing the brakes. Jacking the rear wheels off the ground, putting the trans in neutral, and trying to spin the tires by hand will tell you.
3a. Didn't you test drive the car, and express your concerns with the dealer before you paid for it? I'm gonna go out on a (pretty strong) limb here and say probably not.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 05-18-2013 at 01:41 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:20 AM
In the Staging Lanes

thanks, and yeah im hoping to get those fixed at a shop this morning.

i did check everything i knew, it started up okay in the dealership he said the battery had low charge from sitting in the lot but alternator and starter are fine.

as for "creeping", it *does* creep, but EXTREMELY slowly....so i am guessing its the alternator not supplying enough voltage.

Also i just noticed when I go to start it, sometimes i have to press the gas peddle few times and struggle to start it, is that probably also an alternator issue? Once again the dealer said its from sitting around a lot. This was an official Chevy dealer, I didn't know he would be so dishonest, he said he tested the alternator and it was fine

also my dad commented gassy smell coming from the exhaust, however there is no smoke...so what could that be? I didn't really notice any smell.

Last edited by Camaro S; 05-18-2013 at 04:27 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:22 AM
In the Staging Lanes

okay got new altenator and belt installed.

the mechanic said the richness is probably since the camaro sat for so long, but otherwise it looks good.

however I need to replace my pulley + tensioner because it has a lot of play and kinda loose and wiggles while running. but i cant do that for another week til i get more money, will i be okay til then?

later i will upload a youtube video about the starting problem where it kinda hesitates to start then i gotta turn the key 2 more times and it starts, but the mech said now that i got a new altenator and belt in a couple days it should be okay.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:03 PM

I'd assume with the faulty tensioner it won't be spinning the accessories at their normal speed so possibly not charging the battery properly or maybe the temp getting warmer than usual since its not spining the water pump. (just guessing depending on how loose the belt is) or possibly the belt flapping around an breaking.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

the pulley isnt too bad just has some play but im gonna get it fixed this week. but im worried i think i have a bad fuel pump or regulator or maybe a clogged fuel filter. it struggles to start, i have to turn they key and it struggels then i turn the key again and it struggles....then i turn the key again and it starts FML

Old 05-18-2013, 01:40 PM
2nd Gear member

The starting problem could be fixed once the battery is at full charge and the alternator is working properly. if its still doing that after you did those though, i would go and change the fuel filter first. $10 part, very easy change. well, as long as the lines arent rusted. if they are, have someone more experienced do it.
as far as the tensioner, that will be fine. my old camaro ran just fan on a loose tensioner for quite some time. unless it is flapping off the pulleys, you need not worry.
also, the 3.4l camaro really doesnt do much of a creep on its own. it will go around a flat parking lot at like 1 mph, but nothing like newer cars where they get up to 8mph without a problem from a dead stop.
But a video will help when you get that. Just the sound of it trying to start and what you do will help narrow down ideas.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 9434V6
The starting problem could be fixed once the battery is at full charge and the alternator is working properly. if its still doing that after you did those though, i would go and change the fuel filter first. $10 part, very easy change. well, as long as the lines arent rusted. if they are, have someone more experienced do it.
as far as the tensioner, that will be fine. my old camaro ran just fan on a loose tensioner for quite some time. unless it is flapping off the pulleys, you need not worry.
also, the 3.4l camaro really doesnt do much of a creep on its own. it will go around a flat parking lot at like 1 mph, but nothing like newer cars where they get up to 8mph without a problem from a dead stop.
But a video will help when you get that. Just the sound of it trying to start and what you do will help narrow down ideas.
thanks, thats exactly how it creeps.

the mechanic told me once the battery is fully charged it should get better....but how long would it take to get the battery charged?

he didn't check the fuel system though...i hope ur right and it will get better once the altenator and battery are working good....i smell some rich fuel from exhaust so wonder if its the fuel system, but mechanic said its probably because its been sitting for a while....i have no codes or check engine light.

is there any small way i can test if my fuel pump is working? whats a fuel regulator btw?

i mean i push pedal and the car goes forward, that means my fuel pump is working right?

Old 05-18-2013, 01:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes

im feeling kinda bummed out because i have been saving for many months, i had 10k saved up. spent 2.5k on the camaro + my mustang trade in. and so far i spent on new altenator and belt, and they suggest replacing the tensioner + pulley.

and if the fuel pump replacing there goes an arm. but i mean the car accelerates just fine.

the engine and transmission seem fine though, so let s hope for the best

Last edited by Camaro S; 05-18-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:52 PM
3rd Gear Member

Well the car is 18+ years old, all these things are pretty minor so far for a car of that age and mileage. You could try and run seafoam through the gas tank, maybe to help clear out a small blockage or the fuel filter if you want to stay cheap and quick.

Might want to check the sparkplugs, fuel may not be fully ignited due to worn plugs.

Quick Reply: got my camaro, few issues