Got the Maro up and running but my spark plug cable...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 08:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Got the Maro up and running but my spark plug cable...

Keeps arcing! Even when I buy a new one it'll start to arc or the boot starts to melt. Its the one right under the manifold in the middle, also Cylinder 6 as well... I tried electrical tape to do a ghetto patch but the sparks even passes through that! What can I do as a temp fix? Are the cables supposed to be put on a certain way and avoid certain things? Any recommendations at all? My most important question would be, "Are the cables supposed to be put on a certain way and avoid certain things?" Thanks guys, its a 3.8L.

Last edited by AnalyzeFaith; 11-07-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:44 PM
4th Gear Member

Some of the 3.8's have a metal boot protector that goes on them for a couple of the cylinders, I think maybe the number 4 and number 3 which are the center cylinders.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Are you sure the rubber boots are slid down far enough to shroud the metal wire end, and spark plug tip? If not, juice will jump straight across to the head.
Or, you didn't happen to grab the boots with a wrench, and make a split in the rubber which could let it arc through, did you?

Old 11-07-2010, 10:16 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Are you sure the rubber boots are slid down far enough to shroud the metal wire end, and spark plug tip? If not, juice will jump straight across to the head.
Or, you didn't happen to grab the boots with a wrench, and make a split in the rubber which could let it arc through, did you?
So, if they didnt snap on all the way down it could cause the boot to melt down? That could be a possibility. I know for sure I didnt here it snap in but I assumed it was on there pretty well.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by AnalyzeFaith
So, if they didnt snap on all the way down it could cause the boot to melt down? That could be a possibility. I know for sure I didnt here it snap in but I assumed it was on there pretty well.
Yep, if the wire is just "on" there and not actually snapped onto the plug, you could have a gap between the plug and wire end. That would then be throwing fireworks inside the boot, until it burns through and shoots it wherever it can find ground.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ah damn, makes sense. I feel stupid now. Also, what can happen if a spark plug isnt fully tight? Im going to be honest and say that I did a pretty half *** job, my hands where in killer pain trying to get to those plugs.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The plugs aren't fully sealed until they're tight to the head. The engine could run like crap if you have them "loose". Also, dielectric grease can be your friend. Not only does it help give a better electrical connection and prevent corrosion, but it can also help to prevent arcing.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

And this goes on the top of the spark plug where the boot is or the part that goes into the engine?

Old 11-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yes.......the metal connection on both ends of the wires.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:38 PM
3rd Gear Member

The gel usually comes with the wires but is only like a buck at a parts store. Also if you are having trouble installing just remove the heat shields. It will save your knuckles.

Quick Reply: Got the Maro up and running but my spark plug cable...