got a 96 rs $600

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Default got a 96 rs $600

Hey all,
I've been a camaro lover all my life my dad has owned multiple 69 camaros and i just got my first camaro. Its a 96 rs that has 175k miles on it. i was told had a spun bearing I got it for 600 and brought it home. Turned out to be a clogged injector but thats not all thats rong with it ive got a little bit of a project on my hands i need a center consol dashpad and the part of the dash where the radio goes in is pretty cracked up it came with a yellow top battery that was bad but i got replaced for free and 6 infinity kappa speakers the paint is not that great oxidized on the trunk battered on both bumpers. so i guess im just asking is it a good starter car for someone that loves camaros?

Old 03-06-2012, 10:30 AM
4th Gear Member

it's a $600 vehicle, what more is there to say

It will never perform like a V8 and don't expect it to. Also, it will be cheaper to change vehicles than attempt a motor swap in the future. Don't bother aksing about performance mods unless you just want to spend money.

Clean it up, get a cheapie maaco paint job (unless you can spray yourself), steam clean the rug and slap on some seat covers and only fix things as they break

your money is best spent making sure the brakes work and that you have good tires

Old 03-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I love my 96 as a daily driver. The 3800 is a great platform as long as your not trying to be competive on the drag strip. I would not beat on a 175K motor too hard tho.

There are a lot of neat suspension and brake upgrades that can be done on the cheap. You would just be bolting on used stuff from newer SS's.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:03 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
Don't bother aksing about performance mods unless you just want to spend money.
Not totally accurate. His has the 3.8L, so his will respond better to mods than the 3.4L would and is actually worth putting into. But, I would get everything else fixed, looking pretty, and running good before you did anything else.

Like torque said though, it's not going to perform like a V8 and don't expect it too even with mods.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Any car that is semi-decent, and that can get you from point a to point b without leaving you stranded, is worth well more than $600. You got a good deal, unless the engine or trans blows up tomorrow. Make it look nice and be happy with it as a first car. If you plan on driving it to school, there's a 50/50 chance that another crappy driver is going to do some unwanted cosmetic work on it. I'm basing that from first hand experience, having had 3 kids who went through high school.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:47 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
Not totally accurate. His has the 3.8L, so his will respond better to mods than the 3.4L would and is actually worth putting into. But, I would get everything else fixed, looking pretty, and running good before you did anything else.

Like torque said though, it's not going to perform like a V8 and don't expect it too even with mods.
that's a relative term. Sure, the 3.8 will "respond" better than the 3.4 but you don't buy the sixer for performance and frankly, unless everything else is in great order why go through all of that for 10-15 rwhp? (20-25 crank)

get it running and safe safe safe, then work on appearances

who cares what's under the hood as you're cruising in traffic or on the highway?

Old 03-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Need pics,,,

Old 03-07-2012, 09:21 AM

quick question ive seen the halo lights for this car and im not really into halos so i was wondering if there is any other type of light i can replace my stock ones with? it will be down the road a little but it would be nice to know thanks guys

Old 03-07-2012, 07:18 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragracekid
quick question ive seen the halo lights for this car and im not really into halos so i was wondering if there is any other type of light i can replace my stock ones with? it will be down the road a little but it would be nice to know thanks guys
I'd suggest these. They look just like factory upholstery but slip on over the seats

Amazon.com: 93-02 Chevy Camaro Coverking Leatherette Custom Fit Seat Covers FRONT ROW: Automotive

Old 03-07-2012, 09:25 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
I'd suggest these. They look just like factory upholstery but slip on over the seats

Amazon.com: 93-02 Chevy Camaro Coverking Leatherette Custom Fit Seat Covers FRONT ROW: Automotive
Did I miss something? He asked a question about headlights and you posted seat covers? lol

@OP they make some modified housings that you can put regular bulbs in. Silverstars, ect. I don't know a reputable seller off the top of my head. One of these guys might.