Got the $$$ what should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 11:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Location: Born and Raised in Ironwood Michigan (The Army sends me all over.)
Default Got the $$$ what should I get?

So, I have about $800-1000 to invest in my 1994 Z28. See below for my current set up. I was wondering what the forum thought I should put the money into. I am fairly mechanical and would be able to handle bolt-ons, part swaps etc. . . and probably could handle some mid-level rebuild work with my trusty Chiltons.

I am tossing around the idea of some suspension; sways, LCA relocation brackets, pan-hard, strut tower brace. On the other hand I would like to put in some performance mods. I am already thinking about sending my PCM into Solomon for a tune (pending the price from a local dyno shop), but what else could I add within my budget? I am looking for the most performance for my dollar.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

suspension would be a good idea but you could max that 1000$ budget out real quick... or you could upgrade the valve train. new cam, rockers, springs, valve job, maybe a pnp on the heads if the budget allows

Old 02-26-2012, 11:45 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

how old are the shocks? being that your limited to under a k i i would say your on the right track. weld in sub frame connectors installed and shock tower brace will suck that up.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:52 AM
2nd Gear member

Bang for your buck performance can be had with the LT4 Hot Cam kit from Jegs ($570). It comes with everything you'd need except gaskets, tools, push rods, and should put you at 330 whp through the auto after a tune.

I'd also suggest you start saving for an aftermarket rear or collecting parts for a custom build (an 8.8 works well on a budget). The stock 10 bolt is your achilles heel.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:34 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Location: Born and Raised in Ironwood Michigan (The Army sends me all over.)

Yeah, I have been in the market for a rear end to swap out.