Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/)
-   -   Going to Sell My SS..price suggestions (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/going-sell-my-ss-price-suggestions-35594/)

sschic 02-12-2009 08:16 PM

Going to Sell My SS..price suggestions

I don't want to....I really don't want to, but it needs to happen. It just isn't a daily driver and with everything I want to do to her...I'm thinking I just need to sell and wait for my husband and I to build our future classic camaro.

Need help on pricing. Prices are all over the board. Mine is no cherry, but she runs good, has never been dogged or street raced.

Cosmetics are fair. Runs good, did a full tune up 1 month ago-cleaned out the throttle body and put in a new IAC, but A/C stopped blowing cold this week and the window motors are WEAK. Transmission doesn't slip unless you really hammer it at 60 and run it hard. No real upgrades except K&N filter. Bought a whole new stereo, but haven't installed it...not sure if I should or just sell or keep.

1999 Camaro SS T-Top, Black 120K, tan leather interior, monsoon system, auto, unpolished 17" rims, 75% left on tires

has some minor hail on quarter panels, few chips in the hood, leather is cracked with a few tears on the driver seat, carpet has some stains

I'm hoping $8K...but with the A/C and window motors, I dunno. Suggestions??

whammer3024 02-13-2009 08:33 AM

wow...here's what i'm picturing when i read your description...

tranny slips, ac needs a recharge, needs window motors, needs body work, could use a new driver's seat and possibly new carpet depending on how bad the stains are. i think you'd be REALLY lucky to get 8 grand for it. i was thinking more like 5500-6

JD1969 02-13-2009 09:05 AM

Prices have really dropped on LS1 cars, and the SS cars have not really held value. I would say that $5-6000 would be a lucky price to get. Really nice LS1 cars are going for $8-10k right now. I wold be lucky to see $9k for mine and it mid 11's and looks very good.

whammer3024 02-13-2009 09:59 AM

yeah what happened to your sig JD?

sschic 02-13-2009 04:48 PM

Ouch...not what I wanted to hear!

Whammer...I know what you're saying. I'm being honest with you guys, but not going to advertise to the world that description. The fact that ya'll have more mods makes me even more uncomfortable, but what do I do?? Sit on her and plan on dropping in $3000. I'll never get that back and just have to keep putting money into her.

That just makes her that much harder to sell....there is a 19 yr old kid across the street who drools over her, maybe he'll give me 8.

JD1969 02-14-2009 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by whammer3024 (Post 289794)
yeah what happened to your sig JD?

you mean my sig pic? After the site got reworked, I lost it and never fixed it.

Gorn 02-14-2009 09:45 AM

Your $3000 repair estimates in on the conservative side. Your trans repair alone could run $2600. Depending on what is wrong with the AC it could cost anywhere from $400 to $800. If it needs paint work that would be another $1000 and seat another 300. Window motors yet another 300-500.
Go to www.KBB.com. This is the site that most dealers use to determine the value of a car. When they say we have cars “under book” value that is what they are talking about. I plugged in your numbers it lists the value of your car at $6930 in excellent condition with your mileage. With the issues you listed you do not even make it to the fair condition. If you rebuilt the transmission you would then be in fair condition $5,880. I know that is not what you want to hear but it is the truth. If you are truthful in your add you may get 5K. After saying that you never know what sales a car I have seen overpriced cars sell in a day. I have seen car priced well under market sit for six months.
Hoping you can take advantage of a young neighbor does not say much to your character. You really want to avoid selling a car to someone you know unless the car is truly mint mechanically. I have had people I know giving bad looks for car I sold to them 18 months ago cause the car had mechanical problems.

Spartan66 02-14-2009 10:36 AM

I guarantee that even if you ask 5000 for the car the way it sits you wont get offers for that exact amount or possibly even close to it. My guess is if you post it for 5000 you will get offers in the 3000-4500 at most. As for selling it to someone at a higher price than its worth, theres nothing wrong with that.. Its not your fault the person you sold it to didnt take the time to find out whats wrong with the car. Hell im guilty of that and I dont blame the previous owners for ripping me off, sure they lied to me and thats annoying, it is however my fault (or whoever the buyer is) for not having it checked out by someone who knows what to look for as far as problems go which would determine a value they should pay vs what you want for it.

As for pricing it, a general rule is to always price it higher than what you think you will get for it (in your care if you want to price it for 8k, go ahead) and just say that you want X amount or best offer, any reasonable offer etc. etc.

sschic 02-14-2009 08:13 PM

I'm kidding about the neighbor...I just laugh because he's in love with the car and actually kneels and bows at it when we drive by! I'm not going to take advantage of anyone on this.

The transmission doesn't need a rebuild. It will slip on rare occasion when you really rag on her, but every Camaro does that. The window motors are cheap, but I don't want to spend time on it. Anyone who has the SS and the fiberglass hood knows how hard it is to keep chips out of. And the hail is minor, most don't notice.

Dealer offered me $3000 in trade in today. Said no! I'll strip her down before selling at that price. I might sell to family and maybe get a chance to get her back later.

Plan on listing for $6000 and include my new stereo components. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the help....at least now I know $8K is unrealistic

JD1969 02-14-2009 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by sschic (Post 290298)
I'm kidding about the neighbor...I just laugh because he's in love with the car and actually kneels and bows at it when we drive by! I'm not going to take advantage of anyone on this.

The transmission doesn't need a rebuild. It will slip on rare occasion when you really rag on her, but every Camaro does that. The window motors are cheap, but I don't want to spend time on it. Anyone who has the SS and the fiberglass hood knows how hard it is to keep chips out of. And the hail is minor, most don't notice.

Dealer offered me $3000 in trade in today. Said no! I'll strip her down before selling at that price. I might sell to family and maybe get a chance to get her back later.

Plan on listing for $6000 and include my new stereo components. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the help....at least now I know $8K is unrealistic

Umm no not "every Camaro does that" if the trans slips at all there is something wrong with it.