Getting the perfect launch.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 07:03 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Getting the perfect launch.

Ok, I bought my WS6 mid June and it was the first manual I've ever driven, washell of sight watching me drive it home. Anyway now my starts are smooth along with my transitions through the gears.While I'm definitely no where near anexpert driver, I'm good enough to say I canout-shift several of my friends, all whom have been driving manuals much longer than me. The problem I have now is getting a decent launch. I was watching the Italian Job and saw how smooth yet quick their starts were and for the life of me I can't seem to get it down. I've tried popping the clutch from idle right into mashing the gas, sometimes flooring it, other times just feathering it. I've taken it up to 1100, 1200 and popped the clutch and tried feathering and flooring it. Everytime I do it I end up either bogging the car down or breaking them loose and burning out at least through 1st, and that's if I back off of it. Don't get me wrong, burn outs are fun but it defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to do. I want to get a good solid launch without rolling it out first, just wondering if anybody here had any tips.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:10 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Getting the perfect launch.

Riding the clutch is bad, sometimes letting up on the cluch slower than normal helps..If you hear the engine RPMs come up and the car isnt moving any faster and the tires arnt spinning, let off. You will fry your clutch.. Suspention up grades will help also.Are you street racing, or are you at the track? Slicks or drag radials help with the car sticking to the track..

Old 09-05-2007, 07:46 PM
1st Gear Member

what kind of suspension upgrade would help?

Old 09-05-2007, 07:48 PM
4th Gear Member

jus ease ur clutch out, so that you can be moving a lil before it fully pops out. riding a clutch is bad. so is having clutch half engaged ona hill instead of using brake(but i do half clutch anyway lol). what i always did is have ur clutch pushed in jus far enough where your not moving, then give her bout 1300RPMs, and drop it, but not DROP it, follow it up with ur foot type of drop. my new saturn i have kinda frickan sucks, i got one of those hydrolic clutches in it and for one, hard as hell to get use to, andthen there is no feathering to gas, clutch is IN, or OUT. lol sucks.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:50 PM
4th Gear Member

aftermarket wheels would deff help. i can roast my dad's old 2.8 tires if he has the stock size on. i couldnt even make em churp from 3 grand tho if he had the cragers on with the kumhos. lol.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Tech Droid

The trick is practice, practice, practice. Now that you have a decent street start, just keep doing the same thing but a little quicker, each time. You need to get the feel of the car. Release the clutch quickly without just dropping it, at the same time increase the pressure on the gas pedal so that the engine won't bog, feel the tires bite and give as much throttle as they can handle. Avoid slipping the clutch as it won't last log doing it. If you are running street tires, you just want to haze the tires lightly without creating a smoke screen. This eliminates the need to slip the clutch without bogging the engine

Old 09-08-2007, 12:34 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm not riding the clutch, what I've been trying to do is let it up as quickly as possible without actually popping it out. I think the main problem I'm having is withmy tires, they're a pretty good sport tire but I think I need more of a slick. Everybody I talk to about it says that with regular street tires I shouldn't even waste my time hammering it from a dead stop.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Why don't you just get set of mickey thompson drag radials? My friend runs 8.30's in the 1/4 mile on a 275-60-15 in a 3,400 lb. car. The tires work great.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I would but this is my daily driver for the moment. I know that if I hit it just right I should be able to leap off the line with a minimum amount of spin on a street tire.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member

LOL send me some pieces of the rear end when it breaks =)

Quick Reply: Getting the perfect launch.