Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/)
-   -   Garage Find Help Needed (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/garage-find-help-needed-79255/)

95 camaro 406 11-20-2015 01:55 PM

good deal they need all those things ,you can put some seafoam in the crank case to 4 ounces ,I plan to flush my 406 every 10.000 miles only takes a few quarts an gets any sludge built up out other then one at 5000 ,sounds like some tlc did wonders an does,hey 3rd gear that's all I need for now, If i race I feel like I would need 4th to go above 135mph faster with higher gears too,though I got to say ,a nice 4 speed in the next project ,at one time ,in the 80s an 90s all they wanted was the 350 an 400 3 speeds for that noice they make at 70 mph vooommmm an more

Gorn 11-22-2015 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406 (Post 706760)
good deal they need all those things ,you can put some seafoam in the crank case to 4 ounces ,I plan to flush my 406 every 10.000 miles only takes a few quarts an gets any sludge built up out other then one at 5000 ,sounds like some tlc did wonders an does,hey 3rd gear that's all I need for now, If i race I feel like I would need 4th to go above 135mph faster with higher gears too,though I got to say ,a nice 4 speed in the next project ,at one time ,in the 80s an 90s all they wanted was the 350 an 400 3 speeds for that noice they make at 70 mph vooommmm an more

You change the oil twice a year and you will NEVER have any sludge/carbon to clean out. Also synthetic oils don't make sludge. Seafoam is designed to break down carbon deposits, that is why it works in the crank case or fuel system. There is no need for it in a newer maintained engine. I love seafoam for fixing up an older unmaintained car but the risk that there could be a chemical reaction between seafoam and the detergents from a good engine oil on a clean engine would make me avoid it. If you talk to an oil application engineer they will tell most oil additive hurt their product ability to do its job.

On a side note I have seen fleet trucks 10 years old with 200k on them that I can clean the inside of the lifter valley with a single paper towel and I see the original unstained gray cast iron. That is an mobil one engine :)

95 camaro 406 11-22-2015 07:21 PM

sounds good ,we are talking about the 406 ,the builder said to use the zinc with flat tappet cam ,ya that's my average 2 times a year ,but when I got in the wreck I had just did the oil change from joe gibbs to vr1 ,an got some oil burn during that breakin ,so I will change it again in the spring it was looking good,so I am at about 2000 miles on the engine ,figure another 3000 for breakin ,oh I did the seafoam for storage ,I will have to try it in the winter car though an the 3800 great info gorn

johno97007 11-22-2015 08:16 PM

Another update... Shudder and shake at highway speeds appears to be gone. Ran it through "Big O" again and they found a tire that was out of balance from the first time they balanced it. They did confirm that there are flat spots from sitting so long. It was suggested that I take it for a long drive and heat everything up to see if that solves the flat spot problem. 50/50 chance that they'll sort themselves out. We'll see. 130 mile road trip is in Kate's future...soon.

Oh, gas gauge was at 1/2 tank at 200 miles. What should I expect from a full tank? 220? 240? I do have a light foot, not like I got a lot of HP. LOL

craby 11-22-2015 10:06 PM

depends on if it goes all the way to e before you run out. stock 4th gen should get 25mpg on the highway,,, without traffic.

johno97007 11-23-2015 08:08 AM

Is there a low fuel warning light? Owner's manual says that there should be one to two gallons of fuel remaining when the gauge reads empty. I've read that the gas gauge is undependable. I don't want to run out of gas in the middle of the desert!

Because I dumped a can of Seafoam in the tank when I filled up, I'm hesitant to dilute what's left, thereby reducing it's cleaning effectiveness. I'll drive it a couple more days and fill up at 1/4 tank. Should be able to get a read on the kind of mileage I'm getting at that time.

BTW, for you guys entering winter, it's supposed to be upper 70's down here today.

Everett#2390 11-23-2015 10:43 AM

Run what you got in the tank and fill up before getting to 1/4 tank.
Don't worry about the dilution - drive the car.

craby 11-23-2015 10:59 AM

i never heard of a warning light,,, must be on newer models or an option. ive had two 93's, one ran out at about 1/8, this one runs out at e mark. until you know carry a can of gas with you. i ran this one out once, on purpose to find where it runs out. my first 93 i ran out a few times, lol.

95 camaro 406 11-24-2015 12:30 PM

,flat spots can meen broken steel belts in the tires , the tires are probley dry rotted replaceing them would be best ,if there are cracks in the middle of the tread that's an bad tire ,if there over 6 years old too,