Fuel mileage problem and I'm about to sell

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 11:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Fuel mileage problem and I'm about to sell

Ok I've posted in this forum before about my mileage being very bad.. Now I've changed the egr valve, egr solenoid, both knock sensors, bank 1 o2 sensor and the catalytic convertor with no avail.. I've cleaned both my MAF and iat sensor and it's still the same I even went back to the stock 17" rims. So im stumped. I have no fuel leaks of any sort and ie even checked for water in my oil which there is none. Now the only thing I can think of is a tune up.. My idle isn't erratic but when I'm sitting at idle the car shakes a lil bit here and there. If the idle doesn't move does that mean my plugs as wires are fine? Please help me I don't want to sell but this fuel problem is keeping me up at night

Old 07-21-2012, 12:25 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

this is a 02 3.8??? did you test evap system, change gas cap, have injectors cleaned and flow tested? whats the fuel pressure?

Old 07-21-2012, 12:34 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
this is a 02 3.8??? did you test evap system, change gas cap, have injectors cleaned and flow tested? whats the fuel pressure?
I've changed the gas cap but I haven't done any of the other things on your list.. It passed emissions as California has the toughest in the nation as far as u know.. How do u check the flow? And pressure?

Old 07-21-2012, 01:05 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Previously you said you were checking your gas mileage going off your gas gauge. I told you that to check mileage you have to fill the gas tank completely to start (reset the trip odo), and then when you want to check mileage, refill the tank again completely. So, did you try it that way yet? Doing it any other way will NOT give you an accurate mpg figure.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:09 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Previously you said you were checking your gas mileage going off your gas gauge. I told you that to check mileage you have to fill the gas tank completely to start (reset the trip odo), and then when you want to check mileage, refill the tank again completely. So, did you try it that way yet? Doing it any other way will NOT give you an accurate mpg figure.
Yes I did full it all the way up n even topped it off.. So will a simple tune up solve this problem?

Old 07-21-2012, 01:30 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

For your car, a "tune up" consists of spark plugs and wires. But if they've never been changed, new could help with your mileage.
Didn't you say you were getting 13 mpg or so? Is that a balance of city/highway combination driving, or more one than another?

Old 07-21-2012, 02:04 AM
In the Staging Lanes

For your car, a "tune up" consists of spark plugs and wires. But if they've never been changed, new could help with your mileage.
Didn't you say you were getting 13 mpg or so? Is that a balance of city/highway combination driving, or more one than another?
Yes I'm getting 13.. I filled it up and it's already dropped to the full mark and drove about 15 miles considering when I filled it it went past the mark.. Gonna change all 6 plugs and wires tomorrow morning.. How do I check the pressure and flow should i do a injection cleaning say at valvoline or one of those quick places? If I had a leak I'd be able to smell the gas leaking correct?

Old 07-21-2012, 07:39 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

test fuel pressure 4th Gen LT1 F-body Tech Articles

test evap https://camaroforums.com/forum/lt1-l...-system-51219/

have injectors cleaned and flow tested at a injector shop. the one in my area is called dotor injector. here is a place that sells rebuilt injectors that have been tested and cleaned Welcome to FuelInjectorConnection.com

Old 07-21-2012, 08:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Hello someone had told me it could be that my engine coolent temp sensor is malfunctioning and it not making the cel illuminate.. A possibility?

Old 07-21-2012, 08:57 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

test the temp sensor 4th Gen LT1 F-body Tech Articles
and or could take it to a gm shop and have them hook up there diagnostic scanner to it and see what the temp is showing.

Quick Reply: Fuel mileage problem and I'm about to sell