Fuel Injector "Cleaners"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 09:40 AM
2nd Gear member

From what I've read there are two different types of injector cleaners: solvent-based and detergent-based.

Most of the auto parts store offerings are solvent-based but they aren't strong enough to do much of anything. The pro stuff used at dealerships and specialty shops is solvent-based but much stronger and must be used carefully to avoid damaging yourself or fuel system parts.

The product I've used is Red Line Corp's SI-1 injector cleaner.

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Gasoline Fuel Additives - SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner

It is the only OTC detergent-based product I know about but I haven't done any research or reading on the subject for 5 years. Maybe there are more options today.

I used SI-1 in my PFI Oldsmobiles with the 3.8 and I thought I noticed a real difference.

Advance used to carry SI-1 but they stopped and it is hard to find in stores. You can get it online through Amazon.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I have never been a big fan of the in the tanks injection cleaners. At the dealership we used a standalone system that required you to remove the fuel lines and cycle cleaner thru the injector system. It is similar to a bench cleaning system but the injectors are not removed. When you put cleaner into the tank you can “clean your filter” and force contaminates through the filter and into the injectors even when doing “routine maintenance” you can cause a problem where was not one.

But after saying that, there is a place for these in tank cleaners. If a car has been sitting for a long time and it has varnish like build up all through the system an in tank cleaner maybe the best option but the process should look something like this.

Install new cheap filter

Fill tank with high quality gas

Add in-tank fuel injector cleaner.

Cycle key on and off about 100 times Or hot wire the test lead for 5 minutes (don’t start car)

Start car and let it idle about an hour

Install new cheap filter.

Drive car to just below a ¼ tank of fuel (you want the level as low as possible with risking pump damage)

Fill tank with high quality gas

Install a good name brand filter.

If you think you still have an issue see Craby’s post.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow, really wasn't expecting all those posts, but thanks for all the info. I ended up getting Gumout (before reading this thread, btw) and I'll throw it in at the next fill-up. I'm not experiencing any mis-fires, nor do I have any clogged injectors. I'm not too savvy on engines, remember, so taking out the injectors and cleaning them isn't an option right now. I'm not looking for 100 MPG here, nor am I expecting to see a 50+ HP boost. I'm just curious as to what products are out there that work, if at all, or if they do more harm than good. I've heard stories where adding cleaners like this caused more problems and leaks in the engine, which is counter-productive. This is more preventative maintenance than anything. As far as tuning up the car, I've already done the following:

Changed oil
Changed coolant
(Both of the above were in the same weekend when I had the TB issue)
New spark Plugs (AC/Delco iridium gapped at .060)
Changed fuel filter
Cleaned TB

I figure all that's left is to throw some cleaner in there to clean off whatever might have built up in the injectors and fuel system

Old 07-07-2012, 08:12 PM

I use Lucas on all 3 of my cars every oil change and have never had any issue. My one car has almost 300k on it and still runs like new. Great for preventing problems just not fixing them

Old 07-07-2012, 09:57 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by eburns
I use Lucas on all 3 of my cars every oil change and have never had any issue. My one car has almost 300k on it and still runs like new. Great for preventing problems just not fixing them
The only people that would recomend a fuel injection cleaner every time you change you oil is someone that works for a fuel injection cleaner manufacture or someone that believes what the fuel injection manufacture is saying. I have a degree in automotive tech and I was GM and ASE certifed. In the early part of my career I spent a lot of time in the classroom and I have never been told that cleaning the injectors that offen is a good idea. Infact is was kind of common knowledge that even using the high end cleaning system at the recommended 50,000 miles was a waste of money unless the car had a issue.

Last month I sold my wifes Venture mini van I bought new in 2000. It had 189,000 miles on it. It never once had injector cleaner in it and it had all its original injectors. I do fuel filters every year. It's idle was like new when I sold it, which is pretty good since its last (and only) tune up was 2007.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:25 AM
4th Gear Member

+1 on Gorn. Although some brands recommend using their products every 3k miles or every time you fill up, you really shouldn't. If you happen to have a Haynes manual of any vehicle (Chilton might have this too) open it up and look on the back cover. They have a bunch of pictures of spark plugs. One of them (I believe right hand side, first or second one) has a plug that is covered with "soot" in the gap due to excessive fuel system cleaner.
That is why for the simple fact that since I can't be 100% certain they work all the time (though I have seen some mpg difference for a bit as stated before) and that too much of it does more harm than good, I only buy it when my store is having some type of deal on it. Advance just ended it's Lucas as the promotional product for $4.99 and with my 20% discount, it's like paying change to use the stuff.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:58 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm a big fan of STP and Lucas oil's products, Gumout I use occasionally too