Fuel gauge or fuel pump bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by craby
ok im back, go here and click the link at number 9. other info here as well. https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...62/#post557634
Okay now I'm thinking it might be the optispark. The car had plenty of gas and it just wouldn't start, finally started And ran for about 10 min before shutting off again. I can hear the fuel pump working when I turn the key. So what's some symptoms of a bad optispark?

Old 05-29-2013, 07:31 PM

I can't believe I got bent over backwards in buying this car. Guy sold me junk! Payed 3000 for it.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:41 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

your going to want to get it scanned for codes and test that fuel pressure. 94 is not an easy one to get scanned but you might get lucky and find a parts store with the right scanner. you have to have a scanner not a code reader and it has to be for a obd1 and also be one of the ones that works on a 94. there is a sticky thread on here with info on what ones work. ignition module, coil, opti come to mind but its best to test, it could be a sensor failing and its not brought into play untill the engine goes into closed loop/warms up.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:19 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Just because you can hear the pump "working" does not mean it, or anything else related to the fuel supply is working correctly.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by craby
your going to want to get it scanned for codes and test that fuel pressure. 94 is not an easy one to get scanned but you might get lucky and find a parts store with the right scanner. you have to have a scanner not a code reader and it has to be for a obd1 and also be one of the ones that works on a 94. there is a sticky thread on here with info on what ones work. ignition module, coil, opti come to mind but its best to test, it could be a sensor failing and its not brought into play untill the engine goes into closed loop/warms up.
Can you send me that thread link

Old 05-29-2013, 11:08 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

https://camaroforums.com/forum/lt1-l...ks-94-a-71161/

good info here 4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech Aids

shop repair manual here and no not my files My Files

Old 05-29-2013, 11:10 PM

Also after letting it set for a little while it was started back up and did not die on my uncle. He turned it off himself and turned it back on and it still did not die, he reved it a few times and still no turnoff. He didn't drive it because of fear it will die again, which I'm sure it will. So does this sound like the opti? Nobody gave me the symptoms of a bad opti. And where are the cool packs even located on the 5.7?

Old 05-30-2013, 06:41 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

One coil, not coil packs. It should be next to the opti. There is no way anyone can tell you what is wrong with your car. There are a lot of things that can fail in your ignition and fuel systems that can cause an intermittent no start and shut down. The most common complaint of the Opti is the car will start to miss and run poorly but that does not mean your issue is not the Opti.
Step one check for codes (your answer could be right there)
When the car will not start:
1.) Check fuel pressure.
2.) Check for spark at the spark plug wire.
3.) Check for signal to the fuel injectors.
99% of the time you will find one or more of these missing during the no start condition.
Yes you will get people on the net who had the exact same thing happen to them and it was X. I have seen people throw parts at cars for weeks based on the history of other people.
Yes it could be an Opti but it could also be $5 coil wire or a $15 connector. You heard the fuel pump but it may only be outputting 10 PSI. Testing stuff is the only way to be sure what is wrong.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:16 AM

Okay guys, I just went out this morning and started it and it started up fine and I let it run and I shut it off myself. I started it back up and it started fine and I drove it about a mile. No power lose or anything, I did get on it a little. Drove it back to the house and parked it. Now I know it's gonna do it again eventually. So I'm gonna check the fuel relay, but for the love of god how do you remove the kick panel?

Old 05-30-2013, 09:34 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

there are screws for the trim on the inside at the bottom of the door opening and one at the foot rest.

again the things i mensioned all will do what you are seeing. need to track the problem.

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge or fuel pump bad?