Found It!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 11:11 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by RedKnight
The car looks to be a good deal. He's a little confused about what engine is in it, though. For possible front end damage, look for overall fitment of the front fenders, inner fenderwells, and hood. Also, look underneath the front fenders just behind the wheel where the fender mounts to the body. That's a good spot for a shop to accidentally use as a jacking location. The only thing it "jacks up" is the fender when they crush the mounts. That car looks fine in the pics, so I doubt the fenders are damaged in any way.

Also, check for any water damage from leaking t-tops and any blistering under the paint on the "halo" panel which is your b-pillar. I can't remember if the faulty glue issue showed up in '98 or later on.

Hey man thanks alot could you post some pictures of the places of interest please!

Old 07-09-2010, 11:13 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by CNCman
It has an LS1 with aluminum heads and block. Go over as much research as you can, it will need to be in very good condition for a 12 yr old for $ 6,700. not many miles so be careful ! Get a stethoscope and listen to it running. Check intake & valve cover or any nut or bolt that may have been removed. Seen a few guys here get screwed with bad engines, blown head gaskets from overheating. It looks good but be cautious.
Good Luck !

http://www.camaroz28.com/98camaro/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Camaro_(fourth_generation)#1998
With the stethoscope what should i lisen for and which bolts are you exacly talking about could you please explain or post pictures thanks alot!

Old 07-09-2010, 11:14 PM
2nd Gear member

Thanks alot for your help guys you're f***ing awsome!!!!!!!

Old 07-10-2010, 12:42 AM
2nd Gear member

If I can get the time tomorrow, I'll add some pics of the two places of concern I mentioned. I have a family member who just picked up a '99 and it has been previously raised in those locations under the fenders. I also have some friends on another board who have had their panels knocked out of alignment by businesses (Sam's Club being one) being lazy and not checking where they put their lifts.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:39 AM
2nd Gear member

If I can get the time tomorrow, I'll add some pics of the two places of concern I mentioned. I have a family member who just picked up a '99 and it has been previously raised in those locations under the fenders. I also have some friends on another board who have had their panels knocked out of alignment by businesses (Sam's Club being one) being lazy and not checking where they put their lifts.
ok thx I wouldn't wanna pay for something I'll have to repair imidietly especialy for 6k

Old 07-12-2010, 11:20 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by CNCman
It has an LS1 with aluminum heads and block. Go over as much research as you can, it will need to be in very good condition for a 12 yr old for $ 6,700. not many miles so be careful ! Get a stethoscope and listen to it running. Check intake & valve cover or any nut or bolt that may have been removed. Seen a few guys here get screwed with bad engines, blown head gaskets from overheating. It looks good but be cautious.
Good Luck !

http://www.camaroz28.com/98camaro/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Camaro_(fourth_generation)#1998

You mentioned using a stethoscope to lisen to the engine what should I be looking for and what sounds are bad what sounds are good and is there any good way to check if the tranny is goo?

Old 07-13-2010, 09:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Well , crank it and let it warm up a couple of minutes, Put the solid rod on the stethoscope and listen around the tops of each exhaust manifold for loud or worn valve and rockers, then try to get it low on the block for knocking rods. You can also hear bearings on the alternator, belt tensoner, injectors, and AC by touching the rod on different things. also you can remove the tip and use just the hose and listen around, it isolates the noises so you can pinpoint noises and problems. All these areas will make noise normally, so some experience with bad engines useing it will take more time than you have right now, but find someone who has experience and let them check it with you.

Note: If there is white smoke coming from the exhaust and it is fully warmed up to normal temp, it probably has a blown head gasket, you can get a kit to check for a blown head gasket at the parts store. Look for oil in the radiator and water in the oil too. As far as the tranny goes make sure it is full on the dipstick and drive it through the gears. It has a very strong and tough tranny, if it runs good it probably is OK. Also, you will learn alot more after you buy than before. I do not have alot of experience but some, so listen to the guys here, I have learned from them, they are good ! Also Good Luck !!

Last edited by CNCman; 07-13-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:35 PM
2nd Gear member

Thanks man

Old 07-14-2010, 05:57 PM
2nd Gear member

Okay, I hadn't forgot about the pics.... just been kind of busy. Here are two pics I took the other afternoon right after it rained.

This is the gap that can occur when the fender mount is crushed:
Name:  fendergap.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  97.5 KB

And this is the mounting point between the front wheel and the door that can get crushed:
Name:  crushedfendermount.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  84.5 KB

You can see in the last pic where the bracket with the two screws is bent facing out. This was my mother's Camaro, and it has since been repaired. She picked it up from the bodyshop this afternoon.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:29 AM
2nd Gear member

Okay, I hadn't forgot about the pics.... just been kind of busy. Here are two pics I took the other afternoon right after it rained.

This is the gap that can occur when the fender mount is crushed:

And this is the mounting point between the front wheel and the door that can get crushed:

You can see in the last pic where the bracket with the two screws is bent facing out. This was my mother's Camaro, and it has since been repaired. She picked it up from the bodyshop this afternoon.
thx for remembering about the pics and could you take pictures of all the places that the original stickers supose to be on the car? thx alot and if no its ok

Quick Reply: Found It!!!