First Post / Camaro (1996 Z28)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 10:15 AM
In the Staging Lanes

OH, quick paint question.

the headlight surrounds (the black area) is showing it's age .. it's starting to fade and flake. I need to have them refinished, but the question is .. black or white?

Old 09-25-2010, 10:43 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if its original then some armor all may help. did that with the first 93 and worked good. if its painted over then it wont work.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:54 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Try a professional detailer. Some of them are magicians.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by blocatan
OH, quick paint question.

the headlight surrounds (the black area) is showing it's age .. it's starting to fade and flake. I need to have them refinished, but the question is .. black or white?
I debated this too for awhile but decided I wanted the "meaner" OEM look. The body color seems to changed the Camaro look a little much for me.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:41 PM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

keep the black. PLEASE. your car looks great with it, don't mess with success!

Old 09-25-2010, 06:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Today I was out and about, and there was a Ram truck .. maybe 2008 .. 2009 maybe. Big truck that had been tricked out, making some low bass notes from the pipes, had some teens in it and loud music flowing out the windows. It was lifted, with some custome wheels and fresh paint, and I believe it was a Hemi.

Nice truck overall.

They met me at a stop night, and indicated through throttle they wanted to race me .. now, I know it's a truck but they apparently thought they could kick my ***. Green light and they floor it, I keep up with them to 45 then hang back ... they hang back. We meet again, and we both floor it.

I left them in the dust. I used the throttle to play with them .. the car wasn't breaking a sweat, and they had it floor the entire time.

It was the first time I have ever owned a car that others wanted to race, and thus being the first time I have ever done any of that. It .. was beautiful. I knew it was a big truck and I had all the cards in my favor, but it was still a fun little adventure. I don't plan on making stuff like that a habit, but .. THEY STARTED IT!

Had to share my first "racing" story. Though, like I said the car had A LOT more to give. It felt like less of a race on my end, and more like showing the teens in the truck they should pick their fights wisely.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:26 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Just a little progress

I took off the Z28 stickers on the taillights.

BEFORE

AFTER

I also swapped the After Market head unit with the old stock Bose. I need to work on the sound bad, but that is after the mechanicals.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:00 AM
2nd Gear member

Taillights definitely look better without the stickers. And, I'm with the others on keeping the black around the headlights. I never was a fan of the body color treatment.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Just mask and re-paint the black around the lights. I used a gloss and I really like it. Not sure if it was glossy new or semi-gloss but I kinda like the reflection it gives. Way better without that Z25 on the lights, did you pull off the LT1 and mirror effect red bowtie?

Last edited by Raingler; 09-27-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Raingler
Just mask and re-paint the black around the lights. I used a gloss and I really like it. Not sure if it was glossy new or semi-gloss but I kinda like the reflection it gives. Way better without that Z25 on the lights, did you pull off the LT1 and mirror effect red bowtie?
Nope, I have not done anything with that little gift the PO left me yet. I want to do that one right, as it is on the paint .. heat it up and such.

It will be going though .. for sure.

Quick Reply: First Post / Camaro (1996 Z28)