First Post / Camaro (1996 Z28)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 09:44 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Kiko - Ongoing

Hey guys, my name is Sam .. and I am the proud new owner of a 1996 Camaro Z28. It has 194,000 miles on it, and I know that they can go for a long time if well taken care of (and this one I think was ..) but I also realize that it is a lot of miles .. I am under no illusions that it may need a lot of work in the near future.

That said, I fell in love with it when I first saw it. I never saw myself as a Camaro owner, but this one caught my attention. The interior needs work, cosmetic work mostly. The windows don't roll with easy, and the glass on the drivers side isn't sitting in the regulator right. Both side mirrors are missing glass .. but he sold the car with replacement mirrors so I just need to get them swapped.

Like I said .. it is far from perfect, but I love this potential .. the looks, and the sound.

Here are some pics

Again, I know that it is less than perfect, and some people around here think I am nuts for buying it .. but I am 100% happy with the purchase. I am 22yo, and this is my first "fun car". I have owned 4 other cars, 1987 Buick leSabre, 1987 Cadillac Fleetwood, 1997 Chrysler LHS, 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. Its either been large luxury, or econo boxes for me.

Anyway, there it is .. my first post and car .. I will be around here looking for tips and tricks as I venture forward.

Last edited by blocatan; 10-04-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:52 AM
2nd Gear member

Congratulations. Looks very clean and straight. Auto or stick? Can't say the orange stripe does much for me (the way it drops down ahead of the front wheel) but otherwise it looks great. 4th Gens look good in white. I like the wheels a lot!

Old 09-23-2010, 09:55 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

kick butt power is fun huh? nice choice and good looker. good to have you here and welcome to the forum. enjoy.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:00 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 1augapfel
Congratulations. Looks very clean and straight. Auto or stick? Can't say the orange stripe does much for me (the way it drops down ahead of the front wheel) but otherwise it looks great. 4th Gens look good in white. I like the wheels a lot!
It is an auto, not ideal .. but if I am going to be putting in the work I want to put into it .. I will look hard at doing a 6 speed conversion.

And the stripe is one of the things that caught my eye .. I like it. And I agree that the wheels are very nice on it .. the guy had some taste IMHO. The tacky Z28 tail light stickers have got to go though .. yuk zilla.

Originally Posted by craby
kick butt power is fun huh? nice choice and good looker. good to have you here and welcome to the forum. enjoy.
Thanks!

Old 09-23-2010, 09:15 PM
2nd Gear member

Nice Camaro! Looks like you did good with your purchase.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:30 PM
2nd Gear member

Sam,
It looks like a PO of your car was copying some sort of factory stripe. I didn't realize that. I just noticed another car with that kind of stripe here at the top of the page:

http://www.swiss35thle.com/chevrolet...gen-1993-2002/

Old 09-24-2010, 01:32 PM
May 2013 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by blocatan
The tacky Z28 tail light stickers have got to go though .. yuk zilla.Thanks!
I agree. There are decals you can put on your 3rd brake light as well that make "Z28" shine through when you're on the brakes. This is the one on mine:

Name:  100_4799.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  118.1 KB

I also think your car would look great with decals in the letters in the back and with tinted taillights. Again, my car:

Name:  100_4802.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  184.7 KB

if you just look on ebay, you can find those rear letters in just about any color you want. Orange or black would look good IMO

Originally Posted by 1augapfel
Sam,
It looks like a PO of your car was copying some sort of factory stripe. I didn't realize that. I just noticed another car with that kind of stripe here at the top of the page:

http://www.swiss35thle.com/chevrolet...gen-1993-2002/
it's called a "hockey stripe." I'm pretty sure it wasn't a factory option on anything but 1st gens. A '69 Camaro with hockey stripe:

you can get them on 5th gens too.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Can't say the hockey stripes even remotely appeal to me. The rest of it though looks great. Like the wheels too. You've already got the right idea with the tail light stickers.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:09 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thank you all for your input on the car. It will most certainly be an on going project. I don't even want it to be a trophy car, but I want it to be a fun daily driver, and one that will last me a while.

Things that are already in progress:

Brakes (new pads on all corners, and rotors at the back) - Monday

Doors (drivers door regulator, motor, and trim pieces, passenger side mirror replacement .. hatch pistons and seal fixing) - Late next week, maybe early the week after (parts dependant)

Stereo (new head unit, speakers) - 2-3 weeks. Getting quotes.

The car came with an after market deck, but I suspected ****ty wiring, so I opened it up and .. I was right. it was a rats nest. The car also came with the old OEM Bose unit, and I just plugged it back in. It works, and I wanted to replace the one in there anyway, so for now .. fire hazard gone and it looks better.

Of course, mechanicals before luxuries on this one. It has a lot of miles .. I want to make sure it's mechanically sound before I pretty it up.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:14 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

brakes are good,,,lol. right on, good way to get to know the new ride.

Quick Reply: First Post / Camaro (1996 Z28)