finally on the road!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 03:28 PM
1st Gear Member
Default finally on the road!!

Well, I finally got my 95 Z on the road yesterday. I went for an inspection sticker and it failed it due to a bad wheel bearing. They will fix that next weekend.
Overall, I spent the weeken on her. I fixed the dreaded wiper stuck problem. I had isolated it to a bad relay in the wiper motor electronic module but was not able to fix it reliably. I wish I could have found that relay, it seems like a part that will cost less than $10.00. Instead I had to purchase the complete assembly for $69.00. Anyways, it works well now.

I also replaced the front rotors and calipers, it stops much better now. Once thing I see is the ABS light coming on every now and then. It appears that the 17in wheels I have on the back are throwing the computer off since I have 16in on front. I will have to put everything to match, hopefully next weekend.

I also replaced a bad power steering pump. That was fun to remove and re-install but it is done and working very well.

I still need to replace the window motors but will do so some other day, hi hi.

As for the car, I had purchased it in March this year but had not driven it till this weekend. I am impressed as it is a 6 speed. I don't think I am going back to automatics any time soon. This thing is awesome.
Let's hope the fun lasts, it is for the most part stock so it should not give me much trouble.

Very nice car, it is my first Z28 on the road ( I have a 87 and a 89 being restored lol)

I can now see why so many people like this car.

thanks, I just wanted to share my "exitement!"

Old 10-24-2010, 03:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Congrats! Makes me feel like i'm lazy. Feel free to work on my vert 95z any time you want, I can give you a list

Old 10-24-2010, 03:40 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

different size tires shouldnt throw the abs code. check your center brake light when the light is on if you can. if its out thats it.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
different size tires shouldnt throw the abs code. check your center brake light when the light is on if you can. if its out thats it.
thanks Craby. I will do that. Fortunately for me I also have a code reader that works on OBD1 toys

I will check codes as well.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by elyk10
Congrats! Makes me feel like i'm lazy. Feel free to work on my vert 95z any time you want, I can give you a list

Old 10-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Overdrive Member

WHen I worked for GM we would get people with ABS complaints just like you are describing and we found that if the tire size is too far different the computer in stock form gets confused about wheel slip and will flash the light. This can be programed out of the 96+ cars but I dont know about the 93-95 cars. This is why GM would tell you aftermarket rims could void all or part of your factory warranty. This problem is also more evident on the 4 channel system, the 3 channel system is not as complex and is not used in the traction control system. Most Z28s came with the 4 channel system even if they were TC delete.

Massey

Old 10-25-2010, 03:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Massey, that makes sense. I have a set of original wheels that I will be putting tires on. I hope that fixes it.
regards,
jim

Old 10-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Overdrive Member

good luck!

Massey

Old 10-25-2010, 05:07 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

the abs could also be the bad bearing thats where the abs sensor is located

Old 10-25-2010, 08:26 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

bc is right,,, that completely slipped by me. lol. thanks bc.

Quick Reply: finally on the road!!