fabricating targa top

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 12:09 AM
Default fabricating targa top

any ideas? reconstruction? how long? if you have helpfull ideas let me know. dont be an ******* and tell me its stupid. heard that already, im still gonna do it.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:10 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The GM F-body is a unibody it relies on the body structure to give it rigidly. The center section of the top helps to create the cylinder effect. A cylinder is very strong. You want to see what you are doing to your car take empty toilet paper roll, see how it is stiff and will not twist until it starts to crush. Now cut a section out of the middle, now twist it. It is like a spring. Without a new design that does not rely on the cylinder concept you car will handle like a wet noodle.

There are a lot of options to fix this. The easiest and cheapest would be to start with a convertible. That way you have a decent structure to start with and you are just adding sheet metal. As a general rule the rag tops are not rigid as the T-tops but they are not too bad. Option 2 would be frame connectors and a roll cage. It would not need to be a full on cage but it should have support from front to back. If you just cut up your car without a plan to address this it will end up in the scrap yard.

I assume you are talking a hard top vs glass. I assume custom made glass to match the existing size and shape would be out of your budget? This would really be an advanced metal fab project and it would be beyond the skills of most body men. Even amoung metal fabricators this would be a tuff project to get right an usable as a daily driver. Does it need to seal, or would be a sunny car only? Do you care how it handles when it is done or is just for shows? Is getting rid a 6" wide support running down the center of the car worth all this work

Last edited by Gorn; 11-29-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:29 AM
2nd Gear member

Like Gorn said, the center section of the T-Top is a crucial structural element in the F-Body.
If I was to attempt this project, I would start with a shell of a car, and build a full on custom frame for it and then set the body on the frame. That way you have the strength that you would need, and you could upgrade the whole suspension and powertrain while you are in there.
This will be a huge project, and will probably cost a lot more money than the car would ever be worth on the back end. This is also not something that many people could do (or should attempt) in their garage.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:32 AM

Gotta Follow Gorn... Full roll cage to begin the Fab, sheet metal wrap. Only down side I can see is the structure wrapping the windshield... But it should be workable.

Soulds like it could be one hell of a one of a kind project.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:11 AM
Overdrive Member

IF this were me, and I would not do anything like this but if I did...

Get a convertable in good condition with the power train options you want as the starting point.

Get a T top parts car that has a good tail end.

Now strip the Vert of the rear seats and trunk and top parts.

use the sheetmetal from the T top roof and rear hatch (maybe even the qtr panels too I dont know without seeing both cars together) Make the convertable body handle the rear hatch of the T top.

now if that is all done right you would still have the rigidity of the convertable with the roof of the T top car and no bar in the middle. Now you would need to use the mount parts for the front piller of the T-top to give you a way to attach the new top to the body of the car. Use the T-top mounting leavers in the fabrication of the new roof. Also some custom made weatherstrip will be needed to seal the roof properly.

Massey

Old 11-29-2010, 11:21 AM
3rd Gear Member
Old 11-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Whistler is involved you know it would be good! His roll cage is just what I was picturing. That kit scares me. Just unbolt the center support lol! Kit seems seems to mean "some of the stuff you will need"

Convertible mod would be the cheaper way to go.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:36 PM

wow, thanks a lot! every little bit helps!