Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/)
-   -   exhust problem need help asap (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/exhust-problem-need-help-asap-75453/)

CountTripula 09-22-2013 10:46 PM

exhust problem need help asap

ok i have eliminated my problems from my previous post but now im noticing my ehaus pipe is rattiling on the cross member but thats now my worry

my worry is comming form the exhaust when i crank the car up it smells horribly bad and i had a couple come out and look at the car and there telling me my car is missing due to a plug.

would a bad plug cause horrible exhaust fumes inside the car and black soot in the tail pipes.

cause im about to bring the car to a muffler shop as i got a 11 month old and everytime we go for a ride she screams and she throws up so i need this fixed asap and im expecting my premature son due out of the hospital in a couple weeks and the last thing i need is thag smell with the both of them in the back where the smell is the worse?

what else could be my problems i can post pics or do a video if need me to help i just need help asap for my children

libertyforall1776 09-22-2013 11:27 PM

Have a check engine light? What codes do you have?

Have you checked your exhaust clamps? When did the car last have a tune-up, plugs, wires, fuel system cleaner, etc.?

CountTripula 09-23-2013 12:14 AM

no check engen light im actually starting to thin he disabled it somehow

tune up not sure i bought the car 2 months ago and when i checked the oil its black smudge so i did an oil change. As for the whols kit and kabootal that im not sure i know the car sat for a good 5 months

and when he started it when i was paying for it it had a little smell and he said ohhh thats cause its been sitting and flowmasters do that if they been sitting for a whil

mfmfim 09-23-2013 01:16 AM

It's very unlikely that the check engine light is disabled. If you have a start of the problem, most likely the check engine light will not come on. Only when the problem becomes very bad, the check engine light will come on.

What kinda smell is it? Is it a fuel smell, dead animal smell? I don't think it's an exhaust issue. They might rattle which means you need to check your hangers but lets go beyond this.

What I would do is to check your spark. Spark tester are cheap and they can let you know if your problem is before the spark (coil packs or plug wires) or after the spark (spark plugs).

You may also check want to the coolant to make sure there isn't any oil in it.

CountTripula 09-23-2013 01:06 PM

its a fuel smell and i just brought it to a muffler shop and on the lift i could see all kinds of problems under there he told me one side of the muffloer is shooting fumes up into the cabin which is why we smell it so bad and my tips are held on by screws not your traditional clamps to seal the muffler to the muffler tip and they are to short

there so dhort its actually burning my bumper to the point i can peel black crisps off im doing the whole muffler thing for $100 bucks and then imma do the spark plugs and wires nuxt if that dont solve it imma drive the damn car in the hose of the person who sold it to me and tell him to take his POS back

CountTripula 09-25-2013 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by mfmfim (Post 679393)
What kinda smell is it? Is it a fuel smell, dead animal smell? I don't think it's an exhaust issue. They might rattle which means you need to check your hangers but lets go beyond this.

its fuel i went to auto some to get a power steering hos and he came out to check if my car a missing and he told me "dude your letting out pure gas that being unburnt"

my problem is i dont have loads of money or have the funds to buy a code reader or have someone hook it up cause they what alot of money to do it and advance only doe 96 and up

mfmfim 09-25-2013 04:17 AM

If you are throwing codes, you don't need a lot of money for a code reader. Every auto parts store I know of will read your codes for free. I don't know what year your car is but if it's OBD1 you can jump the codes. Refer to You-tube on how to do this. It's easy and cheap.

You can get a spark checker for as little as $4.00.

It does sound like the car you bought wasn't maintained very well.

craby 09-25-2013 09:38 AM

95 is a obd1 system with a obd2 plugin and can not be flashed. yes it does sound like your running rich (to much gas) and could be caused by a few different things. injectors could be failing, 02 sensors could be failing (take one out and see if its all black), fuel pressure could be to low or to high (either can cause a rich condition)., the diognostic system could be failing causing it to stay in open loop Difference Between Open and Closed Loop - ThirdGen.org which does make the engine run rich. you really need to be carefull with your kids, it sounds like they are getting sick because of the exhaust which is very dangerous. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_poisoning

CountTripula 09-25-2013 10:29 AM

so basically i have to take it to a shop that has a computer to hook up to my car and get me the trouble codes off it cause its drinking about a 1/4 tank to drink 45 miles and the smell is horrible .

I seriously thought it was gonna be simple as plugs and wires

Gorn 09-25-2013 10:38 AM

Anytime you buy a car without any type of records you should change the plug,wires and fuel filter so you have a base line and you can get them changed before they cause any issue.

When you pull the old plugs mark them so you know which cylinder they came form take some Hi def pictures of each plug and post the pictures here. Plugs can give a lot of clues on what is going on inside the motor.

If it was me I would not put in the high end plugs until after you get the issue sorted. The cheaper base like AC delcos would be fine for a year. Just make sure that you you put the recommend plugs back in after you get the issue figured out. Its more work but the last thing you want to do is ruin $100+ worth of plug while you figure it out.