Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 02:56 AM
Question Engine Swap

I've had my 98 Camaro for about a year now. It's the V6, and I want to swap it with the LS1. I've heard i'd have to do some other modification to the car so it can handle the added power, namely suspension. Pretty much I want to turn it into an SLP V8. Has anyone else on this forum done this? What would I have to replace besides the engine and transmission? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you all soon.

-Brad

Old 08-26-2009, 05:08 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

This quesion is asked once a week by newbees, Use your search. Why not just put on a super charger off a Grand prix?

https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-v6-tech-14/v6-v8-swap-how-32391/

Old 08-26-2009, 02:22 PM

Yea I caught that. I know it isn't cheap. Most of the search results are people talking about how often it's brought up, and not how or what parts you need. What year grand prix could I take the supercharger from? And is it something I can just bolt on or what?

Old 08-26-2009, 05:02 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I was joking about the super charger it is the second most asked question. The cheapest way to do the swap is to buy a whole doner cars. The list of parts you will need is to long for any of us to type out. These LS doner cars do not sell cheap cause they also wanted by guys building hot rods. You can spend 3K on a doner car with over 100K on it. Or you can trade your car in on one already to go for about 3K.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:42 PM

Damn, sounds like a lot more parts than I initially thought. I'd like to keep this car, it's been in my family since it was bought, and one day I want to hand it down to my son. Hell I had even thought about trying to get T-Tops installed on it, but I don't know if that can even be done. I was planning on getting an all new suspension system, new torque arm, subframe connectors, sway bars, shocks and springs, A-arms, a magnaflow set up, new induction system and radiator, a baer brake system, a TH-400 and the LS1. I won't ask you to make a parts list or anything like that, but what other kinds of things are there? Thanks for the input by the way.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Overdrive Member

you can install t-tops on it. lots of diy threads on the net.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:59 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Honestly, unless you have a deep pocket you are better off garaging what you have and buying a V8.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:28 PM

I know it's not a cheap project. I'm projecting that it'll cost around 20K by the time i'm finished. To me it's more about making this camaro really nice than having a cool one in general, or else i'd just buy the V8. I can do all the work myself though, so it'll be a fun project for two or three years. Very cool about the T-Tops, it's my last priority, but I think it'd add a lot to the car. Any input on the other sections of the car that'd need work aside from the ones I already mentioned?

Old 08-26-2009, 08:30 PM

By the way, sweet rides CPL and Gorn. I'm a big fan of the first gen. camaros.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:57 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Leave the car stock if it means that much to you. When you upgrade a car it should be for now because 10 years from now there will be better upgrades out there. Think about all the guys that "upgrade the the TPI engines" back in the 90's It was all the rage. Now we look at those cars as the Red headed step childern. Most have been either discarded or re-upgraded to LT1. Soon to be the next Red,,,, Same with all the suspension upgrade that where around in the early 90's all concidered junk now.

But if you leave a car all orginal no matter what motor is in it and you take car of it it could be around for the next 50 years. All orginal cars in good shape always get a nood of respect at the shows or from guys in general. I have seen a guy at car show with all orginal 1973 I6 Maverick getting props. Had that car got a 302/5 speed out of a Mustang back in 86 it would be in a junk yard by now. That 73 will be around for decades more. I was going to school in the 70s if I had to ride home in 73 maverick I would have hid my face. Even I check out the all orginal Maverick

Quick Reply: Engine Swap