Engine rebuild time! Kinda...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Engine rebuild time! Kinda...

So I'm not doing now, but I got a list of parts that I would need to rebuild the engine. We discovered today after getting a new injector that the head gasket is starting to leak. There's also a possible oil pan or front main seal leak. I had originally planned on doing an engine 'refresher' this winter, but the way things look, it would be more logical to just rebuild. There's too much failing at once. Here we go:
-Complete gasket set (lower intake (already have the upper), TB, valve covers, head gaskets, thermostat, front cover, front and rear main seals, oil pan gasket, oil pump(?), fuel injector o-rings, header gaskets, heater hose o-rings(?))
-Bearing set (rods, main, and cam)
-Pistons (.040 over or maybe higher?)
-Lifters and cam (looking at a mild cam)
-Valve springs
-Oil pump
-Timing chaining gears
-Cam button/wear plate(?)
-Fuel injector set
-Alternator (bearings are starting to go bad, a little noisy now)
-Struts for the front

I was hoping if I happened to miss something, if someone would let me know.

I'm also getting the trans valve body fixed (the reason for my p1870 code) and throwing in some new rear gears (doing the rear before this probably though). Some of the stuff I'm not 100% on which is why there's some question marks with them. If I could get pointed in the right direction for some of the stuff, like the cam, that'd be great. Even though it's not happening until probably around November, I planned on picking up parts here and there as I get money/coupons. I also have to start pricing around for the machining part of it so I know how much to start saving.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:48 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Why not just put a V8 in it and be done with it? I can't see getting alot of machine work done boring over etc to a V6.

As for your question marks, you won't need a gasket for the oil pump, it is steel on steel. The heater hoses are a pipe thread. As for pistons and head gaskets, I would not buy anything like that until the engine work is done.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I have big plans for my future Z, I don't ever plan on swapping my six out. She was born a six and will stay a six. Swapping her out for a v8 is really stupid IMO. I do a fair amount of driving and I'm still in college, I don't have an endless budget or time to do this. The gas mileage is my biggest issue. The total rebuild will cost an estimated $1200-$1300. All the work except for the machining will be done by my bf and myself. Getting a donor car in my area is almost impossible for a swap anyway.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:10 PM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

I got 24 mpg in my 94 z28 with flowmaster, k&n filter, and that is it. I understand about leaving well enough alone. But for all that work and money, how much is a crate motor and just swap the top end over?

Old 05-02-2010, 10:44 PM
4th Gear Member

You need more than just a motor lol. You need all the electronic hookups to go with it. And how much? More than what she will spend on a simple hone, deck, and rebuild lol.

Don't go more than .020 over on your bore though. These engine blocks become weak after that.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:53 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

well insurance is probly another issue but its not so simple as a motor switch and your done. anyways back to your list. have u looked at getting or having your heads done?

Old 05-03-2010, 06:44 AM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by evilkal
You need more than just a motor lol. You need all the electronic hookups to go with it. And how much? More than what she will spend on a simple hone, deck, and rebuild lol.

Don't go more than .020 over on your bore though. These engine blocks become weak after that.
My last suggestion on a motor was meant for another 6 cylinder. Are they that expensive? If she is looking at $1200+, is a crate motor alot more?

Old 05-03-2010, 07:12 AM
4th Gear Member

Yes. Even a short block 3.8 is gonna run 500-800 depending on the mileage. I'd be happier with a full rebuild rather than putting a used motor in my car. A crate motor would run over 2 grand.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

OK. I'm not swapping my engine. I'm not buying a new engine. I'm REBUILDING my engine. I already searched around for prices on new vs. rebuild. V6-V8 conversion is out of the question. My engine is getting rebuilt to how I want it built. There's no point in getting a new engine when I want it 'customized' anyway. Like I said, I don't have an endless budget or time to do this. This post was not about whether I should put a brand new engine or swap in a V8. I'm well aware of the prices and work that goes into all of that. Which is why it's out of the question and not even remotely part of my original question.
/END TOPIC

ANYway, back on the ORIGINAL topic.
Kal, I'll look into the .020 bore, I'm not familiar with the machining aspect of a rebuild, so it's all going to be a new learning experience for me.
Craby, yes, I think the heads are going to get done, which is suppose to be budgeted in the machining costs.

Is anything missing from my list of stuff to get?

Old 05-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

Darling, I think when you get started you should keep an ongoing open "project" thread detailing your progress through a weekly or biweekly post with lots of pictures. I truly respect what your trying to do here. Most people would just toss in a V8, but I find it interesting to build the V6. Refreshing alternative you might say. When you are all done we can make it a sticky, with your part numbers and everything. Let me know what you think.

Quick Reply: Engine rebuild time! Kinda...