engine problems.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 11:09 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default engine problems.

I have recently been experiencing two major problems with my 1995 3.4l.

First it will sometimes feel like i am not running on all cylinders, with lower acceleration, i think delayed timings, and i really rough almost shaking feeling. Maybe a fuel injector or fuel pump? I believe it is throwing codes, but i have no way to read them as it is obd-1.

Secondly, recently it has had trouble starting. I have a vats problem i know but i have a viper remote start that uses a bypass so that will disable vats till i exit the car or whatever. but what it's doing is its not starting the first try. it just cranks. and cranks. so i let off and then wait a second and the second try starts it just fine. it also sometimes feels like it stops cranking due to friction maybe? maybe bad piston? god i hope not.

any ideas?? thanks alot.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:29 AM
In the Staging Lanes

maybe as simple as a fuel filter??

Old 10-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Are you sure your starter is turning it fast enough to start?

Any time someone says it needs a couple of times to start I think fuel pump. But there are many things that can cause it.

If you are cranking the motor over two much it will overheat the starter. You should allow a starter to cool for 2 minutes after 15 second of use. Carful if you have an older starter overheating it will push it over the edge. you do not want to end up putting a starter in cause you had a bad fuel pump.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-21-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:38 AM
In the Staging Lanes

the starter is maybe 6 months old. but i am thinking fuel pump as well because usually if i turn the key forward and let it sit for a few seconds before i crank it then it doesnt have problems.

and yes i am pretty sure i turns fast enough. same as its been, minus the recent occurances of it seeming to lock up? so i dont know what could cause that but it seems to be bad.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:54 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

like the gorn says sounds like a fuel pump. also a bad fuel pump will not throw a code so you have something else going on as well. i am pretty sure you can use a obd1 scanner on your car using this method.
http://shbox.com/1/xraycable.jpg

Old 10-21-2010, 11:58 AM
In the Staging Lanes

well it is obd1 but has a obd2 plug. its a bastard child. so i dont know how to check codes.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:03 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yah, if you click the link i gave it will take you to a picture that shows how to hookup a obd1 scanner to it. thats if your plug on the car is the same as in the picture. not completely sure 3.4 plug is the same as 5.7

Old 10-21-2010, 12:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

okay i will try that out.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:53 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

" I believe it is throwing codes". If the SES light in the dash is on, your belief is now fact.
When you turn the ignition key to the "on" position, can you hear the fuel pump prime momentarily? If not, a bad pump relay could be the cause of your sluggish starts. Hard to tell, but you could have more than one thing going on here.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well the service engine light goes on and off alot. so i don't know how much i trust it...
and i'm not looking forward to getting this fixed because it could be a number of things. could even be a fuel injector.

Quick Reply: engine problems.