Engine locked up???

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Default Engine locked up???

My daughters 95 Z28 has a problem. She was at gas station and it made a weird sound (she cannot define weird) and she shut it off. Now it won't start. The battery just clicks (single not multiple) but plenty of juice. Had it towed to a shop and at first they say battery, which was 7 years old so I said fine replace it. Then I get a call saying that it was not the battery but instead engine is frozen. They said they undid the belt and tried to turn it over thinking it might be starter but it won't turn manually at the crank at all. I had it towed home since they did not instill a lot of confidence saying a battery without really checking it. I checked the oil and it was not low, not dirty, no water. Only has 80,000 miles and all appears fine except won't crank, just click. I have since swapped the battery and it starts my Suburban fine and Suburban battery has no impact on Camaro, so I know it not that. I get radio, horn, bright lights, etc.

Any ideas what I should check first as I've been told it would be $3-4,000 to rebuild it and the car is too old for justify that, yet she is in a pickle.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd try manually jumping the engine with a screw driver just to see if there's not something wrong between the battery connection and the starter. You wouldn't believe how many people will look over connections and go straight to worse case scenario.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well last time i heard something like this happen and seen it with my own eyes the motor did freeze. were tore it down to find a bent rod. i hope u get it figured out and it not be that tho

Old 09-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Tech Droid

Assuming the starter, connections, and battery are good, then there is a possibility that the engine seized. Remove all spark plugs, and then attempt to turn engine by hand using the bolt on the nose of the crank. Use a breaker bar and socket. The engine should be fairly easy to turn, if not there is a possibility of internal damage. While turning engine, check for coolant coming out of the spark plug holes, as this would indicate coolant got into the cylinder. I suspect the weird noise may have beed caused by a spun bearing.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:47 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I'd first check the starter to make sure the bendix gear didn't get jammed into the flywheel/flexplate gears, which would lock the engine up. Try whacking the starter with a hammer, and see if that helps at all. If nothing, then get under the car and see if the bendix gear is extended out (it shouldn't be).

Old 09-08-2011, 10:10 PM
2nd Gear member

+1 on the bendix gear on the starter.

Had that exact thing happen on a Chrysler I owned a few years back. I immediately thought worse case when I couldn't manually turn over the engine.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:30 PM
3rd Gear Member

Definitely keep us posted i wants to know.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:57 PM
Overdrive Member

Could be just the starter -- I had a similar problem in my RS, but the starter was locked up, and it was very cold outside, and sometimes did not even click. Temperature isn't likely a concern here, but I hope it's something simple as opposed to other scenarios presented above.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It is so easy to test for I cannot remember anyone misdiagnosing a locked up motor. Heck if the oil change guy told me a motor was locked up I would assume he was correct. If your mechanic told you a motor was locked up and it is not then he should be in the running for the dumbest mistake ever.

Put a socket/Breaker Bar on the front main pulley. Can you turn with less then 75 Ft/lbs of torque. Yes: your motor might be ok (start should atleast try to turn it). No: it is locked up. Pete is most likey right. A locked up motor that was not just run at high rpms is probably a spun rod bearing unless the car was overheating.

Warning: I have seen motors that were locked up but they free up due to so many people "trying" it, but not for more then a few turns.

Last edited by Gorn; 09-09-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:52 PM
3rd Gear Member

The shop probably thinks it can get more money if its a seized motor. All they have to do is replace the starter and clean the engine. They charge use if they replaced the motor and your out all that money. Wouldn't be the first time something like that happens.

Quick Reply: Engine locked up???